𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 | 𝐂𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬

There's no explaining my exhaustion for defeat

There's no explaining my exhaustion for defeat. The quietness in my heart and nightmares that reconcile every moment I'm unconscious.

A tattered heart sits silently, waiting for the will to wake up. Slowly I feel the throbbing in my body and understand the need to wake will also shatter my eyes with pain.

To see how men can destroy a girl like me with bruises and broken bones. I've become a withered petal of red, allowing my blood to spill for the sake of a fight that I never wanted to be mine.

I open my eyes, not hearing the voice of my mother sitting beside me pleading for me to wake no matter how much I want to. I forget my parents are dead for a second. Instead it's silent, so silent I can only hear the sound of my breaths and the clink of a lighter turning on and off.

The light is dim, but I still need a few moments to become aware of where I am. It's one of the spare rooms on the bottom floor of Blaise's house.

And there they sit.

Both of them paying attention to different things. Mattheo watching the color of the fire from his lighter and Tom's knee bouncing as he reads a book. He shuts it in frustration, unable to read as his eyes are bloodshot and dark.

Tom looks up first, and his eyes widen when he catches me staring right back at him.

"Rhea."

This makes Mattheo's head snap up and rush towards me.

"You're awake."

Both brothers surround me, and that's when I feel the bandages wrapped around my stomach.

"How long have I been out?" I ask, my voice sore.

"Three days. You suffered from head trauma and lots of blood loss. Your ribs were shattered, nose broken, and shoulder snapped in two so you've been under a lot of potions." Tom explains.

"Rhea do you know who did this to you?" Mattheo questions.

"No. But I do remember there was four of them" The lie tasted bitter on my tongue. I want to tell them both the truth I do, but I'm not sure how.