𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐎𝐧𝐞 | 𝐑𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐋𝐢𝐞

There are pretty lies in this world, the ones we cover up to try and protect ourselves, pretending it's for the good of others

There are pretty lies in this world, the ones we cover up to try and protect ourselves, pretending it's for the good of others. In the process we lie to ourselves and hurt the ones surrounding. Pretty lies are glossed up and stamped with disappointment.

And I'm keeping the biggest lie of all to try and convince myself it's better they don't know. I'm asking myself if it's worth losing these last moments because I've lived a life with none at all.

So are they truly pretty lies? Or rotten beyond despair.

I'm shaken awake, met with comforting eyes and Mattheo's short grin makes me smile as I wake.

"You don't look so deranged when you're asleep" he says.

I scoff, "And what the hell does that mean?"

"You look like you're dreaming about rainbows and sunshine. Not a scowl in sight-you should sleep more often princess" he says.

"I never got much sleep before I came to Hogwarts so yes I might be a little happy to have a nice bed even when I'm unconscious." I roll my eyes and that makes his smirk grow wider.

"Wipe that smirk off your face-I know you enjoyed watching me sleep. How cute of you." I chuckle and the smile is wiped clean off his face.

"Do not call me cute" he warns.

I opened my mouth to argue-that is until I see Tom behind him sound asleep with bandages covering him entirely. Small bits of blood seeping through. It warms my heart whenever I see Tom asleep, not a care in the world or the weight of everything around him dragging him down. So I can't help it when my smile brightens because seeing him sleep is becoming one of my favorite views.

I turn to Mattheo and see him desperately trying to hold his cheerful mood that is now perished because of me.

"I'm sorry."

Mattheo shakes his head, "Don't be. I can't blame you for looking at him that way. That would be unfair of me."

"It's just-I like watching you two sleep. Neither of you let me even when I moved dorms."