1-5

Chapter 1

 In the 63rd year of Da Wei's Qing Yuan, in the third month of spring, the rain was drizzling. The new greenery in the city was shrouded in a layer of mist, soaking the land.

The roof tiles of the Xu family's residence in the capital were washed by the rain, revealing a layer of uniform luster. These were half-moon tiles shipped from Yunzhou. It was said that when moonlight shone on the roof, it would look like fireflies perched on the roof. The firing process of these tiles was complicated, and the price was not simple either. A full roof tile would cost an ordinary family dozens of years of hard work.

However, the Xu family in the capital had a silk business all over the country, so a roof tile was at most a drop in the bucket. Lord Xu was the tutor of the current Crown Prince. He had two sons. The eldest, Xu Zhiheng, stood alone. At a young age, he was already a Hanlin scholar, and everyone in the capital praised him. Xu Zhiheng also had a wife. When he was 18, he married the daughter of the second master of the He family, He Yan. The eldest son of the He family, He Rufei, was the current Emperor's General Feihong. The marriage between a scholar and a warrior could be considered a well-matched match.

"Madam, what would you like?" A delicate maidservant in a thin gown handed her a cup of hot tea and asked crisply.

"I'm going out for a walk," He Yan replied and drank the tea in one gulp.

"But it's raining outside …"

"It's fine, I'll hold an umbrella."

The maidservant looked at the young woman in front of her. The Xu family was a scholarly family, and the women were all dressed elegantly. Young Mistress Xu was the same. However, the green feather satin robe on her made her look petty and out of place. In fact, Grandmother Xu was very good-looking. Her facial features were distinct and heroic, and her eyes were like a cleansed lake, clear and distant … Unfortunately, she was blind

Grandmother Xu was not born blind. Three months after marrying into the Xu family, she suddenly contracted a strange illness. She had a high fever for two days and two nights, and when she woke up, she could no longer see. The Xu family invited many divine doctors, but they were still helpless. After that, Grandmother Xu did not go out often. It was inconvenient for a blind person to go out.

He Yan walked to the pavilion by the pond in the courtyard.

After marrying into the Xu Family for a year, she went blind after three months. In the remaining nine months, she learned to live without her eyes and adapted very well. Occasionally, she would miss the days when she could see. For example, right now, she could hear the sound of rainwater falling into the pond and feel the red carps fighting for food in the pond, but she couldn't see anything.

An unseen spring was a good spring, just like an unseen person.

Perhaps she had gone blind too early, so she couldn't even remember Xu Zhiheng's current appearance. The only thing she could remember was when she saw Xu Zhiheng when she was 14 years old. The young man in green stretched out his hand to her with a warm smile. The current Xu Zhiheng would not stretch out his hand to her. Although He Yan treated her gently and politely, there was a layer of something between them. He Yan could feel it.

But she wouldn't say it.

When she was young, she had spent many years in the military. She had learned to deal with men as a man, but she didn't know how to be a woman. Therefore, she could only watch Xu Zhiheng and his concubine mother, Madam He, being gentle and affectionate. She felt sad and tired. She simply couldn't see it anymore. Even these heart-wrenching scenes were saved, so she had a lot of leisure time.