66-70

Chapter 66

     He Yan originally thought that if it was Xiao Jue who asked Ma Damei and the others to compete in equestrian archery with him, then after the competition, they would be able to see that his skills were out of the ordinary and would do something about it. But after more than ten days had passed, the days were still as usual. Other than the occasional recruits who came to compete with her, nothing else happened. She didn't even get an extra cup of military rations.

Maybe … it was just a coincidence? He Yan thought that maybe the instructors were bored in the Liang Province Guard and wanted to test their skills.

She put this matter to the back of her mind for the time being.

After a few rains, the summer heat seemed to have lessened a bit. Occasionally, when she woke up in the morning for a jog, there was no sun and a cool breeze. Before long, the summer of the Liang Province Guard would be over.

It was also because the weather was gradually cooling that the recruits were allowed to enter the mountain a few days ago.

Mount Baiyue was extremely large. It would take at least a day and a night to climb the mountain. Because of this, the recruits were strictly forbidden from climbing the mountain. At most, they could only go to the top. Every day, five people would go up the mountain to patrol.

Hong Shan didn't understand. "What are five people patrolling for? If there really is any danger, will five people be enough?"

He Yan thought, of course it won't be enough. You weren't supposed to be patrolling in the first place.

The new recruits of the Liangzhou Guard had been training here for an entire summer. Before long, it would be time for the "Battle for the Flag".

The flag battle was to plant more than ten flags at the top of the mountain. The recruits with better aptitudes and outstanding results would be divided into teams and they would go up the mountain to compete. There would be fights between the teams competing. When they finally went down the mountain, the team with the most flags would be the winner. The final winner would become the most promising recruit and would most likely enter the Vanguard Battalion.

He Yan's goal was no longer the Vanguard Battalion, but Nine Flags Battalion.

Now, he had the recruits walk around the mountain every day to familiarize them with the terrain of Mount Baiyue. He wanted them to remember the location so that they wouldn't be unfamiliar with the way during the flag battle. However, the recruits didn't know. As someone who had been in the military, He Yan knew.

The last time she fought for the flag in Mo County, Mo County was connected to the desert. When the wind blew in the desert, the landmarks disappeared and the sand dunes changed. When they were fighting for the flag, the situation was very dangerous. If it wasn't for a big brother in the team who found a small river, perhaps no one would have been able to walk out of the desert.

"Battle for the Flag" not only tested a recruit's individual skills, but also the team's teamwork. It wasn't enough to just focus on one aspect. The test for everyone was very high. Although the so-called Battle for the Flag was in the future, from a certain perspective, the competition had already begun. Smart people would be able to remember the way while patrolling, but those new recruits who did not have any awareness would just take it as a random walk and would not take it to heart. It would not be of any help in the future "battle for the flag".