31-35

Chapter 31

     Spring was coming to an end, and even the rain was beginning to have the heat of summer.

The last day of the conscription had ended. The long tabs for filling in paperwork at the racetrack had been closed and were replaced by countless small tabs. After bidding farewell to their families, the other recruits had already gathered. After tonight, they would set off for Liangzhou the next morning.

The tent was very small, and it was barely enough for a few people to squeeze in. He Yan and Hong Shan sat next to each other. Hong Shan had taken a slightly larger tent, and because they didn't have much luggage, it was quite spacious. From last night to tonight, He Yan had stayed here for an entire day.

Here, they would give him steamed buns to eat, two at a time. When they settled down in Liangzhou, they would give him more. There was nothing else, except that it was inconvenient to go to the outhouse. He Yan had to wait until it was late at night, when no one was around, to sneak in.

As soon as she came out of the outhouse, she walked to her tent and lifted the flap. There were two more people inside. Hong Shan was talking to them. Hearing the noise, the two men turned around to look.

They were probably a pair of brothers, and they looked somewhat similar. They were tanned and thin, and had a kind of honest and handsome aura. They weren't old, the older one was about sixteen or seventeen years old, and the younger one looked about the same age as He Yunsheng. The older one was probably the older one, and he was taciturn. The younger one was probably the younger one. When he saw He Yan, he smiled and asked as if they were close friends, "This older brother is …"

"This is your older brother A He Ge." Hong Shan helped He Yan to recognize a younger brother, and then said to He Yan, "These are the two new brothers today. There's no tent outside, so they'll be squeezing in here with us." He pointed to the taciturn young man, "This is Shi Tou." Then he pointed to the young man with a simple and honest smile, "This is Xiao Mai."

Shi Tou, Xiao Mai. They were probably brothers from poor families. Otherwise, a better family would have given them good names.

He Yan found a place to sit down. With two more people, the tent suddenly seemed a little crowded.

"Are you from the capital?" He Yan asked. He felt a little thirsty, so he unscrewed the water bottle at his waist and took a sip.

Shi Tou didn't like to talk, but his younger brother, Xiao Mai, was very lively. He said, "We live on Xianghuai Mountain and spend our days hunting. The last time we went down the mountain, we saw that they were recruiting soldiers. After discussing it with my brother, we decided to join the army."

It turned out to be a family of hunters on the mountain.

"Your parents might want you to join the army?" Hong Shan asked. Generally speaking, even if one's family was poor and wanted to join the army, they wouldn't let their two sons join together. They had to leave a way out for their family.

"My parents are long gone. I grew up with my brother."

Hong Shan sighed. "Then you should cherish your lives even more. Why did you come here to join the army? It's not fun to join the army. Don't tell me you … "He pouted in He Yan's direction." You want to make a name for yourself like him, right? "

"A real man should make a name for himself," Xiao Mai said naively. "Besides, this time, the commander of the army to Liangzhou is the Right Military Governor, Military Governor Xiao. My brother and I have admired him for a long time. It's our honor to be able to work for him!"