Stepping Back into Society

Regina's POV

I eat my breakfast, thinking long and hard about what I should do today. I don't think I'm prepared for the pity party that's waiting for me when I step back into the public. I guess now is a good time as ever to just get it over with. Let everyone know that I'm okay and that I can resume my normal life. 

I drive and park up in front of Grannys'. I take a deep breath before I step out of the car and walk in. The bell rings as soon as I step through the door and all of a sudden all eyes are on me. However, the only person I lock eyes with directly is Emma Swan. She's smiling and it suddenly puts me at ease. At least it did, until I realized the Charmings are sitting with her and there's still a bunch of eyes on me. 

Snow is the first to approach me with a hug. I decide to hug her back. 

"Regina, it's so good to see you. You look wonderful."

Of course she's chipper. Why would I expect anything less?

"Thank you, Snow. If you'll excuse me, I'm just going to get my coffee to go", I say to both Snow and Ruby.

"On it", Ruby says. 

"Sooo. Was my cup of coffee not good enough for you?"

"It was just fine, Ms. Swan. I simply needed another cup for the rest of my day."

I collect my coffee and begin to walk out of Grannys', along with Emma following me.

"How about we walk to your office, it's nice outside today."

"Why?"

"Because I could use a friend. It's nice outside. The walk isn't far. Plus I have paperwork I owe you anyways."

"Ms. Swan, I don't need your pity. You don't have to pretend you need a friend just because you're worried I'm going to break down or self destruct."

"I'm serious, Gina. I know you don't need a babysitter. I know you won't self destruct. I know you won't break down, you're too strong to allow yourself to do so. This really is for me. I like spending time with you. It does make me feel better."

"Since when do you call me "Gina"."

"Why? Don't you like it?"

"You don't use pet names. Why now?"

"If you don't like it, I can stop."

"Let's just walk, Ms. Swan. What's on your mind that you feel the need to walk with me."

"Is it wrong to want to spend time with a friend."

"So, we're friends now?"

"Cut the crap, Regina. Regardless of how we met, you and I have always been friends. We always save each other, whether we like each other at the moment or not. I know that you don't just tolerate me. We understand each other more than anyone else here, that's why we're good together."

"You're the easiest to tolerate between the bunch of fairy tale characters we live with."

"You called out for me in your sleep last night, Regina."

I froze for a moment, not knowing what to say. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You do, Regina. What happened last night?"

"This isn't a conversation I'm interested in having, Swan. Get to work."

"Oh come on, Madam Mayor. Let's just talk about it."

"There's nothing to talk about."

"Face it, you like me. That's why you're dreaming about me. Now, the real question is, do you like me like me?", she says while wiggling her eyebrows.

I feel my face getting warm again before I can form a response. "I beg your pardon?"

"Lighten up, Regina. It's just a joke."

"An idiotic one at that. We're here now, can you get going."

"Sure. Here's the paperwork I owed you last week. Call me. If you need anything, that is."

"Great. Goodbye, Ms. Swan."

What in the world just happened? Is she flirting with me, or trying to ruin me? And why am I blushing, every time something idiotic comes out of her mouth. 

The more I try to focus on all this paperwork, my mind drifts more and more trying to decipher Emma's behavior. What does she want with me? What happened to her and the Pirate for her to all of a sudden feel indifferent? 

Clearly I won't be able to get any work done, so It's time to pack up and go home. 

I get home and I decide to go sit out underneath my apple tree. It's nice, having some peace and quiet. The weather is nice and breezy. Soon enough the season is going to change and the leaves will begin falling. I feel closer to Robin out here. Being out in nature, this is the kind of thing he enjoyed. I've been so wound up wallowing in my own grief, I haven't thought about how Roland is doing. I'll have to seek him out tomorrow. Soon enough, I feel myself drifting to sleep while I brace up against my apple tree thinking.