Transitionary - 5

Yo, my friends! 

With this chapter, we're getting just a little rest from all the heavily action-based chapters. I love them, but sheesh, it tires me out sometimes.

Speaking of action, for this chapter's question: Do you prefer longer fights or shorter fights in this story? 

I've tried to keep them on the shorter side because the fighting alone isn't as intriguing to me as the narrative that's being weaved. 

Regardless of that, I hope you all enjoy the chapter! There probably won't be a back-to-back upload like last week, but I may surprise you, so keep your eyes peeled!

-----

Even without much time existing, the Rot Beast didn't have a very difficult time establishing itself on the food chain. It clearly existed on the very top, above all the fodder around it.

The only being the ant showed respect to was its creator, the Outer God of Rot. After all, the Rot Beast was the Outer God's closest... anything, directly spawned from its will.

Intelligent, strong, fast, and capable of using Scarlet Rot for a myriad of attacks. Of course, nothing could stand next to its might! It would eat to get stronger and follow the orders of its master faithfully!

Until he arrived.

He appeared like a shadow amidst the night, like a demon among imps. Like a god among men.

The Ant didn't answer to a mere god, though.

The insect ballooned in size, pitting his strength against the man's. Nothing could truly stand its strength, so the first attack must've simply been a fluke!

The man blew it back with a single punch.

It was... almost nonchalant. The man's strength surpassed the ant's, and the defense of its exoskeleton was quickly trumped in turn.

Crack, crack—!

The Ant's exoskeleton cracked all over, nearly exposing the far less protected shell underneath. The Rot Beast flew backwards, shrinking.

With a much smaller size, the Ant could move far faster! Strength was far from its main aspect, so the annoying arrival would be cut to shreds when he couldn't keep up with such incredible speed!

Except... the Ant's attacks wouldn't land.

A swipe to the leg!

Nothing.

Claws to the neck!

Nothing.

Aim to pull the man's heart out!

Nothing.

"I can't waste much time," the man said nonchalantly.

His fist shot out like a bullet, slamming into the ant's head. It was flung backwards, crashing through a large tower. Dust, dirt, and grime caked everything in the area as bricks and mortar crumbled onto the Rot Beast.

The Ant's claws shot through the rubble, and it slowly rose, its exoskeleton thoroughly cracked. Its mind flickered wildly.

'Strength wasn't enough. Speed wasn't enough. My defenses have failed. The Scarlet Rot is nothing to this man. Then... numbers, yes! I have a legion beneath me, who will answer my call!' The Ant sent out a call to its fellow followers of Rot, but there was... nothing.

They no longer existed.

'They've all been killed...! I must... I must...!' The Ant rose from the rubble as the man, no, the monster, approached.