6 Sign

"Hi Roman... how are you?" I asked as I got up from the bed and walked to the sofa at the other end of the room.

I sat down and pulled my knees to my chest. Almost as if they were a shield against what was about to come. Though, of course, I had no idea what that would be.

"Well... Actually, I'm pretty worried about you, Nova.... No one has heard from you in the last two weeks. That's why your mom told me where to find you. I would have loved to have gotten on a plane and come to you.

But I guess I would have just gotten another slap in the face. I just wanted to know how you were doing and make sure you were coming home someday. I'm so sorry about everything, Novalee.... I never meant to put you in this situation, but..." he began.

"You know Ro... as mad as I was at you in the beginning, I understand now why you were hesitant to tell me. But I want you to know that I'm grateful. Because you were right about one thing... It would have been much worse if I had married him and found out later. Better an ending with horror than horror without end." I replied as I played with one of the pillows.

"Let's just say that it's a pretty damn messed up situation. Are we still... Friends?" wanted Roman to know.

"I don't know. There's a lot going on inside me. Not even four weeks ago I was engaged to be married. And now... Now there's that much happening within me that I don't know what to do with all the feelings," I said.

"Oh... okay. I guess you need more time. But can I ask you one more thing?" replied Roman and I could tell he was hurt.

I heard him take a deep breath, even though he tried not to let me notice. But I knew him well enough to know how much the whole situation was troubling him, too.

"Sure." I said.

"What was with the kiss?" he wanted to know.

Did I hear something like hope in his voice? Or was I just imagining it?

"Oh um... I should have known you wouldn't let me get away with it," I replied evasively.

"Well, can you blame me, Shortcake?" he said with a low chuckle.

"No, no of course not. In fact, we should talk about this in person. But I'm staying here for two more weeks, and tomorrow I'm just switching hotels.... I screwed up, Roman... I used you to get back at Arthur in a way. And what did I get out of it? More feelings that I don't know what to do with," I finally said after I realized that there was no point in beating around the bush.

"So what you're actually trying to say is that you enjoyed the kiss and feel guilty about it?" replied Roman.

"Yeah, kind of..." I admitted.

"Has it occurred to you that maybe I feel the same way? That this is exactly what was supposed to happen? The way I see it, it maybe was a sign, baby girl. Whether you realize it or not." he then said softly, his voice low and somehow confusingly sensual.