37 The sound of music

Novalee POV

"Please, baby... Please stop crying. Mommy really doesn't know what to do anymore. You ate, you burped, you're all clean and dry. I massaged your tummy. What's wrong? Why won't you go to sleep. Mommy could definitely use a nap..." I said a little desperately because Lucian just wouldn't stop crying.

It had been like this since last night. And I had tried everything I and the Momma's could think of that could be his problem. At this point he was just totally overtired which made it even harder for him to get to sleep.

Carefully I laid Lucian back on his belly. I don't know, but I guess I tried Tummy time for the third time today. Just in case he was colicky after all. But actually I had more the feeling that he was in a bad mood because Roman was not at home.

Probably our little man just missed his daddy. I could understand it. I missed him too.

As if he could hear my thoughts at that moment, my phone started ringing. I sat on the floor next to our son and rubbed his back while I answered the call. I wondered, though, if Ro would even be able to understand me.

"Hi Ro. How are you? Where are you at?" I asked over the crying and whimpering of Lucian.

"Hi Shortcake... Good...I miss my family. Right now I'm on my way to the car. I hear the alarm clock still hasn't settled down." replied Roman.

"No, not really. Hang on... I'll put you on speaker. Listen Lucian... It's your daddy!" I then said, bringing the phone a little closer to him.

"Hi my little chunky monkey. How's my boy doing? Are you giving mommy a hard time? Daddy will be home in an hour, then Mommy gets a well deserved break. We'll have our man time then." said Roman, but it didn't help much to calm the baby.

"Ro, can you please not call him chunky monkey?" I laughed at this new nickname.

"Come on, Shortcake... It's cute." he replied with a deep chuckle.

"True, but he can't help it. After all, he's pretty much always hooked up to the milkshake machine. If you know what I mean." I said with a grin.

"Men have to eat, baby girl. He'll grow into it. Okay, family. I'm at the car. I'll see you guys in an hour. I love you guys." replied Roman.

"We love you too. Drive safe." then I said.

After a few minutes I took Lucian in my arms again. I still had the hope that he would calm down. We wandered through the house. Again and again my eyes fell on the piano. Hmm... maybe it was worth a try. After all, he knew it from the womb. Maybe music would calm him down.

I went upstairs with him to get the baby sling. I carefully placed him in it before we made our way back downstairs. We sat down together at the piano. I took a deep breath and tried to relax as I opened the lid over the keys. However, it was hard for me to relax because I had my baby's crying in my ears.

My feet operated the pedals so that I could play more softly and quietly than I normally did. In the end, I wanted Lucian to get used to it slowly. Besides, the top was closed, which helped even more.

The first tones chimed away. And immediately it relaxed me. And to my surprise, my boy seemed to like it too.

"You are clearly my baby." I said softly and gave him a kiss on the head.

Lucian cooed softly and suckled on his hand while I continued to play. It wasn't long before his breathing slowed and he actually drifted off to sleep.

God, I was so relieved. It seems like I finally found a way that helped both of us.

At some point, I had not paid attention to the time, I heard the door. I turned in the direction and saw my husband coming towards us with a big smile.

"Hey... Good job, Mommy." he said softly before giving me a kiss and then sitting down on the bench next to us.

"I can't believe it actually worked!" I said, feeling very proud of myself,

And my ears as well as nerves were very grateful to me for that.

"It seems that little Mr. Reigns has inherited your passion for music." replied Roman when he saw Lucian sleeping peacefully on my chest.

"To be fair, he's been listening to it for most of the pregnancy. I wonder why it took me so long to understand what was bothering him." I said.

"That's not important. The only thing that matters is that it helps you both. And now I'm going to cook you something nice before you fall asleep on me too." he replied and gave me a kiss on the nose.

"Thank you, husband. You know where to find your family." I exclaimed.

The sound of music resonated through the house as my gaze followed Roman as he set to work in the kitchen.