12 Time to go home

Novalee POV

Humming softly to myself, I packed my bags. It was a more or less melancholy humming, because actually I was sad to leave this place.

But that didn't mean we couldn't come back someday. Maybe this place could become a kind of tradition for Roman and me. I was probably getting ahead of myself. After all, it had been only a few hours. Still, I had a good feeling. And besides, it wasn't as if we were strangers. Quite the opposite.

I wondered how our families, especially our mothers, would react to our news. Surely no one had seen this coming. I mean, we ourselves hadn't seen it coming from a million miles away. Especially considering that four weeks ago I was in a wedding dress at a church about to marry another man. 

As angry as I was initially with Ro.... I had to admit to myself that he actually saved me. He did it for the right reasons. And then there was the fact that I had not wasted a tear and very few thoughts on Arthur.

Cheating and betraying me for God knows how long.... Wanting to take advantage of me... that was something I certainly didn't wish on anyone and couldn't forgive. As soon as I heard him talking to this other woman, telling her he loved her. It was like someone blowing out a candle. Dumping a bucket of water on a fire. From what I thought was love, it was gone. Just like that.

Now this part of my life felt more like a bad dream. Roman gave me the confidence to start over.

The last thing I did was take Nes from my nightstand. I tugged on her worn ear before pressing a little kiss to her forehead. Then I very gently put my bunny into my purse.

I picked up my luggage and left the room. My eyes wandered over all the details one last time. Smiling, I closed the door behind me.

"Are you ready, Shortcake?" asked Roman's deep voice from the living room area.

He apparently had been done long before I was and was waiting patiently for me.

"I am... Oh hell no!" said I, and then I looked at him.

"What, what is it?" he asked startled while looking around.

"You can't wear that. You look like a snack.  If you keep that on, we're definitely not leaving this cottage anytime soon." I replied as I almost started drooling when I saw him.

He had the audacity to wear a white tank top and super tight jeans.

"You're one to talk! Did you look in the mirror when you put on this dress?" he smirked as he took the few steps towards me.

Gently, he put his big hands on my hips and pulled me to him. He gave me a light kiss.

"You know... maybe we have a little time before the driver comes to take us to check out." he then said and his hands began to roam over my body.

"I like the way you think..." I replied as I stood on my tiptoes and put my arms around his neck.

But just before our lips met there was a knock on the door.

"Saved by the knock." I said, giving him a little peck and a pat on the butt.

"Saved my ass." he grumbled.

*****

The flight home was long, but being able to spend it in Roman's arms made it so pleasant. We sat together in business class. Ro pulled up the armrest between us so that it was almost as if we were cuddling together on the sofa.

Too bad Roman had to go back to work tomorrow. It was very tempting to just lock ourselves in a bedroom and forget the world around us.

Since my car was in long-term parking at the airport and Roman had come there by cab, I drove him home.

Or rather, he drove himself home, because he insisted on playing the chauffeur. That was yet something I could get used to. The way he held my hand with one of his, or the way he kept looking at me.

"Are you sure you have to go home already?" Roman asked me as we stood by the car again.

We had spent an hour at his place. Always in touch while I helped him start some laundry. Afterwards we had a coffee until it was time to say goodbye.

"Unfortunately. I have to make sure everything is okay. And you should get some sleep since you have to leave in a few hours. I don't think I'd be much help with that. But I'll call you soon. I promise," I replied as I snuggled up to him, reluctant to leave myself.

"Say, can you maybe accompany me to work soon? I want to spend more time with you." he then said before giving me a kiss on my hair.

"I would love that. I need to see how much work I have to do. After all, I haven't been home for a month. But I think that can be arranged very soon. And let me tell you that I think it's nice that you're not sick of me after this 2 weeks." I replied with a laugh as I looked up at him.

"Thankfully you're pretty okay, Shortcake." he laughed himself.

"You're pretty passable too. I miss you already and I'll hear and see you real soon." I promised.

Then we kissed goodbye. Neither of us wanted it, this time we had spent together, to end. Unfortunately, all good things eventually came to an end. 

A little unhappy, I now made my way to my house. At first glance, nothing seemed to have changed. But I knew that everything was different since I had left my home so quickly back then.

I brought my luggage inside and then looked through the mail piled up on the table by the door. Mom had checked in every few days and made sure everything was as it should be.

There was nothing special among them. Bills, advertisements, royalty checks. That sort of thing.

But then a different kind of letter fell into my hands. It was different because it was the only handwritten one. However, the writing was not familiar to me.

I opened the envelope and inside was a piece of paper with just a few words written on it.

I am watching you. Always.