31 No matter what

Novalee POV

Today Roman and I were on our way to visit my parents who were hosting this year's Thanksgiving. And it was also the day we would tell the family about the newest addition.

I could already hear the joyful squeals of our momma's. I suspected they would have a heated duel over who would become our little darling's favorite grandma.

"Hi my baby and hi my great son-in-law! Oh come in, come in! You guys look fabulous. The vacation has obviously done you well." Mom said as she opened the door and pulled us into her arms to greet us properly.

"It has indeed. How are you? Everything all right? Do you need any help in the kitchen?" I replied.

"No, no. We've got everything under control. Roman, my darling. The men are in the basement watching the game. If you want to join them. Nova baby... do you mind continuing the tradition?" Mom said as we walked into the house together.

Of course I knew what she meant. It was customary in our house on Thanksgiving and Christmas that I sat at the piano and played until dinner and a little after. For me it was not a duty, but something I loved deeply. And it meant that I was excused from kitchen duty. That was a nice bonus.

We went through the house and greeted everyone. This took a little while because all the people seemed to be scattered throughout the house as well as the garden. The mood was relaxed and cheerful. Everyone was enjoying being together with friends and family. Even if it got a little louder now and then.

I, on the other hand, was in my own little world. My fingers danced over the keys of the piano as I swayed myself back and forth, so engrossed was I. The thought of our time in Paradise and of the baby made me create whole new melodies. The smile was permanently on my lips.

Suddenly I felt warm hands on my shoulders and then a kiss on my hair. I looked up and saw my husband grinning at me before he sat down next to me on the bench.

"Shortcake, your mom called for dinner." he said as he put his arm around us.

"Really? Already? I didn't hear that... Sorry." I replied before looking around.

All eyes were on us, because in fact everyone was already sitting at the table, just waiting for us. I felt the blush rise to my face. It was a little embarrassing that I hadn't noticed anything until Ro pulled me out of my bubble.

"It's all right, baby girl. Let's eat." He laughed softly before taking my hand and we sat down next to our families.

Before we began to eat, we prayed together and thanked the Lord for the blessings we had received. This Thanksgiving was so beautiful and indeed I had so many things to be thankful for.

One of them was sitting next to me and had his hand on my thigh as we waited for the perfect moment to come.

Also, I was so thankful for our mothers in that moment. Because I realized how much they had changed and influenced all of our lives when they became friends back then. And that friendship lasted until today. More than that... now we were all truly family.

"So tell us about your trip. I hope you took pictures!" said Pat at one point after we had eaten dessert.

"Oh...now that you bring it up.... Ro, could you give them the photos?" I replied with a grin.

Roman, of course, was only too happy to return my grin and picked up the stack of printed photos from my bag. He divided the stack and gave half to his mother and the other to mine.

As they looked at the pictures he firmly held my hand while we looked at each other waiting for a reaction. Hopefully they wouldn't miss the clues. After all, we had shuffled the pictures.

"Oh Pat did you see that? Isn't that adorable! A little heart on the- Now wait a minute! Holy heavens!" my mother said as she now came upon the one sure giveaway photo.

"Does it mean what we think it means?" asked Pat with wide eyes after staring at my mom.

"Depends on what you think it means..." laughed Roman.

And I did too, because with their faces, we both couldn't help it. It was hilarious.

"Oh my god. We're having a baby!" my mom said, dropping the photos and running over to Pat and hugging her tight.

Then they both started jumping on the spot while still holding each other. I think it was safe to say the soon to be grandmothers were beside themselves with excitement at our news.

"Oh we have so much to do. We need to start planning a party for the gender reveal and the baby shower for Novalee. And I need to start knitting!" gushed Pat as she let go of my mom and rushed to us.

She hugged us tightly while sniffling softly. Pat looked at me with tear filled eyes as she stroked my cheek.

"Congratulations, sweetheart. We are all so happy for you guys. Come here my son! I love you so much." she said before pulling Roman into her arms as well, making room for first my parents and then the rest of the whole family.

The little someone under my heart could already feel happy and blessed because he or she would be born into a fabulous, loving, a little crazy, family. A family that will always protect and love this baby. No matter what.