7 The things I knew

Roman POV

As surprised as I was that Novalee asked me to come to St. Lucia to see her, it was also tempting. Since I had the next weeks off nothing spoke against it.

When we talked on the phone and I told her that maybe it was a sign, she was silent for a while. At first I thought that the phone connection was interrupted. But then I heard her exhale audibly. I knew her well enough to know how she rubbed her forehead.

I asked her a few times if she really thought it was a good idea. If it wouldn't be better if we talked when she got back, but somehow she was determined to do it now. What had changed her mind so quickly? I thought she needed time to think. To sort out her feelings. 

It wasn't easier for me either, but unlike Nova, I hadn't just ended a relationship in public. Sure... it was my fault, but it was still better than the alternative.

I had to admit that the moment I felt her lips on mine for the first time, my whole world turned upside down. Everything I thought I knew, things I was 100% sure of... were suddenly not so certain anymore.

Pretty much my whole life Novalee had been my friend. This little girl who always followed me when they visited us. And definitely often a bit annoying and exhausting, especially when she wanted to play baseball or football with us. But still, I always felt the need to watch over her. To protect her no matter what.

I remember to this day how guilty I felt because she lost her first tooth because of us. We were playing a game of catch in the yard and Nova, despite her short legs, wouldn't let me stop her from wanting to join in. Well, until she tripped over one of my roller skates that I had forgotten on the lawn.

She landed face first on the ground and when she got up again a tooth was missing and she was bleeding. But one more thing remained in my memory.... She didn't even cry, she was such a tough cookie.

And then the first time was that she drank alcohol. We were at a party where she shouldn't have been in the first place and was persuaded by friends to try it. When I realized what was going on I got her out of there as fast as I could and brought her to us. I didn't want her to get into trouble with her strict father.

The feelings that boiled up inside me... had they perhaps always been there? That was a good question. I didn't think so, but the kiss had changed everything. At least it had for me.

"Here we are, Sir." said the bellboy as he led me to one of the cottages.

It was beautiful here. Nova said it was a former cocoa plantation. Now they were private cottages in French colonial style. Even with their own pool, although it was located high in the forest on the mountain. Perhaps there was even a view all the way down to the sea.

"Thank you, my friend." said I, and tipped him.

So here I stood now. In front of the door and took another deep breath before raising my hand to knock. It wasn't long before I heard Novalee's voice asking me to come in. The door opened with a small creak as I pushed it open. But the small living room  area was empty.

My eyes wandered out to the patio and there she was. Nova was standing with her back to me. She had her hands on the railing as she looked out at the trees and indeed the sea.

Her long dark hair moved in the gentle breeze as did the red and black long maxi dress she was wearing. I put my suitcase aside and was about to go out when suddenly the sky darkened and it began to rain heavily. Lightning flashed across the sky, but Nova didn't flinch one bit.

"Shortcake?" I said to get her attention.

Immediately I saw her take a deep breath before turning to me. I couldn't interpret her expression. She looked at me like she was looking for something. 

With quick steps she came towards me. But she still didn't say a word. Instead, she put a hand on my cheek while still looking deep into my eyes.

"What is-" I began softly.

But before I could say another word, she had already stood on her tiptoes and reached out to me. Forcefully, she pressed her lips to mine, silencing me. At least for a brief moment.

"Shortcake, what are you doing?" I asked breathlessly after I had with difficulty put my hands on her shoulders and pushed her back a bit.

"Just shut up, okay?" she breathed, then continued kissing me.