21 Find a new home

Roman POV

"Shortcake? I'm here. Where are you, baby girl?" I called out as I entered Nova's house.

It was quiet. There was no sign of Nova. It wasn't until I got closer to her studio room that I heard the first tones of the piano. It sounded fast and cheerful. Somehow the melody reminded me of Nova herself.

With a smile, I opened the door very carefully and as quietly as I could. I didn't want to make any noise in case she was recording something. And there she was. Nova had headphones on and was playing at the same time. A glance at the monitor showed me that she was listening to one piece of music and playing another over it.

I loved watching her play. Her whole body moved to the rhythm as she played. It had always been like that. Ever since her dad put her at a piano for the first time. At that time she was just 7 years old and no one could have known that she would develop this into a passion and a calling. Not just a profession.

She finished and took off the headphones before saving what she had just recorded.

I cleared my throat quietly hoping not to startle her. She slowly turned to me and gave me a bright smile.

"Hi Ro... I noticed you, but wanted to finish this first. Just give me a second and we can go." she said as she quickly stood up and gave me a kiss in greeting.

"Hi my darling. I didn't mean to disturb you. But... how exactly did you notice me? I was so quiet..." I wanted to know.

"Oh that's easy... I sensed your presence. Your aura, if you will." she explained to me as she turned back to her equipment.

Quickly she clicked and shifted data back and forth before shutting down the system and then coming back to me.

"Okay, ready. Let's go find a new home." she said, giving me another kiss.

"I have a really good feeling about this one." I replied as we made our way to the car.

"Really? I would have thought it was a little too far out of town for you." said Nova.

"Well... The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. The property is nice and big. The stable that's been converted into a workshop has enough room for your studio and my gym. You can have the garden and greenhouse you've always wanted and there's plenty of room for family and later kids." I explained to her.

"That's what I thought, too. Plus, I like the pool and the hot tub. You know... if we take it, I should have a window put in between the studio and the gym. That way I can watch you work out." Nova replied as she took my hand and brought it to her mouth to press a kiss on it.

"And you think that wouldn't be a distraction from your work?" I laughed.

"Hmm...probably so, but maybe it's the opposite and gives me a whole new set of ideas." she smirked.

"Oh I bet it will. But let's wait and see. Even though I have a good feeling about it.... The first 10 houses had potential too and we didn't end up liking them." replied I.

"That's true..." she said, turning up the volume on the radio as a song she loved came on.

Nova sang along loudly as we pulled onto the highway. It was a beautiful January day and the vibe was like we were taking a road trip. Maybe we really should do that sometime.

"This is it, Ro! Oh my gosh! It's even more beautiful than the pictures. Look at that!" my girl gasped as soon as I pulled into the driveway.

"Wow. You're right! But try to cool off a little. The realtor doesn't need to know you're head over heels in love, Shortcake." I chuckled.

"Oh I'm not sure I'll be able to do that." She laughed and literally jumped out of the car.

That was another thing I loved about her. The ability to get excited about even the simplest things.

Together we greeted the realtor and he showed us around the house and across the property. Nova's eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas morning. I watched her brush the countertop in the open kitchen with one hand as she clutched her locket with the other.

She bit her lip as she absorbed every detail. A little later she was standing in front of a large window that had a great view of the garden and pool area. Without her having to say it, I knew this was the house she could imagine living in with me.

Nova looked over her shoulder and our eyes met. I stepped behind her and put an arm loosely around her waist before resting my hand on her stomach.

"You love it," I said softly.

"I do. It's... a dream. What about you?" she wanted to know as she placed her hand on mine.

"I told you I had a good feeling and that has been increased. I think we found the one," I replied before giving her a kiss on the hair.

"I just hope we will get it. I'm sure there are plenty of interested parties who will submit a bid for it." Nova then said.

"Probably, but you have to be able to afford such a large estate. So I think our chances are very good." I assured her.

"Fingers crossed, Mr. Reigns." She replied as she turned and looked at me.

"You'll get your dream house, Shortcake. I promise." I said and gave her a kiss on the nose.

"You're my dream, Ro.... everything else is a bonus." she replied before reaching out to me.

Our moment was cut short, however, when the realtor came in with the owner. He said that she wanted to meet each candidate in person. To see who she thought would be the best fit for her house.

She was an older woman, probably around 75 or 80 years old. A good-humored smile on her face as she approached.

"You're Roman Reigns! My goodness. My late husband was a big fan. Oh I can't believe this. If he wasn't dead already he would be dropping right now. God, may he rest in peace. And you want my house? I wouldn't have dreamed of it. Tom, get the contracts ready. If this gorgeous couple wants to buy the place, they can have it. I know my beloved husband would want it that way," she blurted out before either of us could say anything.