13 He's a smart one

Novalee POV

It was now a month since I was back home and the uncertain feeling accompanied me ever since. Of course I had called Roman immediately after I had read the letter. And he saw it the same way as I did, that something was going on.

However, the police did not see it that way. They said without further evidence or even a clue as to who had sent the letter, they couldn't do anything. I couldn't prove that it was Arthur who was behind it. It wasn't even his handwriting. And it was just that one letter. Nothing else. But it was enough to freak me out.

I immediately called my security company to search my house and property to see if anything had changed. But they couldn't find anything either. Everything was fine. Nothing on the footage indicated that anyone was near the house that wasn't supposed to be there.

That made me breathe a little easier. Maybe the police were right and it was just a note from a fan. It would be the first time, but it couldn't be ruled out. I mean I wasn't a famous singer. However, I was well enough known as a songwriter and composer in film and television that it was possible. And I had made a lot of money doing it. Along with probably one or two envious people.

That's why I spent a lot of time with Roman whenever possible. And we enjoyed the time we had together to the fullest. Everything was new and we spent the time mainly getting to know each other as a couple.

Only one thing worried me more than the "stalker" problem, if you could call it that. And that was the fact that I was still not able to play my piano. I often sat in front of it and stared at the keys. Sometimes for hours without playing a single note. I was worried that maybe I had lost something. My gift perhaps, or my passion. It was as if I had writer's block, only it was the composing.

I tried not to think about it for the moment. Now my attention was fully focused on Roman. I was on my way to Fort Myers where a show was to take place today. Afterwards we wanted to go back home, because we knew that our mothers wanted to meet up tomorrow. It was not unusual for one of us to show up. So we thought it would be a good opportunity to tell them.

After I parked the car I made my way to the entrance. Just before I got there I called Roman so he could get me in. But as soon as I hung up I heard another familiar voice.

"Nono! Oh my god. What are you doing here, girl?" I heard Jimmy call out just before he scooped me up in his arms and whirled around.

"Hi Jimbo! What do you think? I wanted to see how my sorta family was doing. I haven't seen you and Jey Jey in so long and Roman insisted that I visit him." I replied.

"He had a good idea for once. But tell me...how are you? We heard what happened. Feeling alright?" he wanted to know.

"You bet I am. Nothing happens without a reason." I said when I saw Roman coming towards us.

"That's true. And since you're here, you can help us find out who Roman's new girlfriend is. He hasn't said anything, but he's acting like a teenager and is always on the phone with her." replied Jimmy.

Roman hugged me and gave me a kiss on my hair before winking at me.

"Hi Shortcake." he said softly.

"Hi big man. What's this I hear? You have a new flame? Spill the beans." I replied, having to pull myself together to keep from laughing out loud.

"Yeah big uce! Tell us... I'm sure Nono has a better chance of getting something out of you than we do. But I know this much... He gets all blushy when he talks to her." Jimmy teased.

"Aww... Romie, is that true? Must be a very special lady, huh?" I wanted to know.

"She is. She's loving, beautiful, sexy, talented and so much more. She knows me inside and out. And I can tell you she's the best thing that could have happened to me." he replied, looking deep into my eyes.

"Oh, that sounds great. I bet I'll get along with her very well," I said.

"Does the mystery woman have a name?" asked Jimmy, who we had almost forgotten was there.

"She sure does. And it's a beautiful name." Ro murmured as he finally wrapped his arms around me and lifted me off the ground.

He pressed his lips to mine as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Say whaaat?" we heard Jimmy say in disbelief.

Slowly and carefully Ro set me back on my feet, but didn't let go. We both chuckled softly as we looked over at his cousin. The look on his face was totally worth it.

"Now, for real? That's a thing... that with you guys?" he asked, gesturing wildly with his hands.

"Oh he's a smart one, isn't he Ro?" I laughed.

"He is. He got it at the first hint." Roman joined in.

"I'm going to generously overlook that comment, because I'm glad you two finally got your act together. Well after a million years. We should celebrate. Drinks after the show. I'm sure we can find a decent bar around here." he babbled.

"Can't do that, I'm afraid. We're meeting the momma's tomorrow. But next time for sure." replied Roman.

"Yeah... That's probably better. We don't want Nono to fuck up another pair of Nikes for you." Jimmy laughed and clapped his hands.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, because it didn't make sense to me.

"Oh you don't remember? No wonder you were so wasted. But you remember that when you were 15 you went to a party where you were drinking? And Mister Responsible got you out of there. On the way to the car you threw up on his brand new shoes." he replied, finding the whole thing more than just funny.

"Really? Oh geez...that's embarrassing. Why didn't you ever tell me?" I whined before turning to Roman.

"Because I knew you would have been embarrassed." Roman replied and gave me a kiss on the nose.

"True... But I promise I'll make it up to you," I said then.

"I can't wait." he smirked knowingly.

Then he leaned down to me and gave me a passionate kiss. However, we were quickly interrupted.

"Eww guys.... This is so weird.... I'm going to have to get used to this." Jimmy complained.

"Then get used to it fast." said Ro and continued kissing me without listening to his cousin's objections.