22 When the time comes

Novalee POV

I couldn't believe that this was really happening. We had really gotten our dream house. And as if it was meant to be, it didn't take long for both Roman and I to find a buyer for our respective houses. Everything happened so fast and without the slightest problem.

My excitement increased with each passing day as the move approached. I could hardly wait to live there. I could easily imagine sitting on the porch swing, my head resting on Ro's shoulder, with a cold glass of iced tea in my hand while we listened to the birds in the morning as a hot summer day was approaching.

We decided that my studio would be the first to move into the new house. It just made the most sense. Once the painters were done and the new floor was installed, all that was left was to put the sound absorbers on the walls and then it was ready to go.

That way I could keep an eye on the other work going on in the house. There wasn't too much that needed to be done to the house itself. Just fresh paint and some new built-ins. Also, Roman didn't like some of the light fixtures. And I wanted to have more modern wallpaper in a few places to make it a little fresher.

All in all, we just wanted it to look more like us. But we also had some arguments about the things we chose. These squabbles never lasted long, though.

While Roman was loading the first boxes into the car with things that could be parked in the garage like decorations and books and so on, I was in my closet.

I wanted to sort out what I no longer needed and wanted to give away. And then I packed the first things. I mean at the moment I didn't need my summer dresses or blazers. Therefore, one part after another disappeared in one of the many boxes. 

But then I came across a garment bag. I opened it and was suddenly hit full force by memories. It was my wedding dress. I huffed and slowly sank to the floor with the thing in my hands.

My hands slowly slid over the fine fabric. It was so beautiful and yet it was now inevitably linked to bad luck.

"I have everything in the car. If you're ready we can go. What's wrong, Shortcake?" I heard Roman say behind me.

He knew immediately that something was off. Roman sat down on the floor with me and put his arm around my shoulders.

"I didn't know you still had it..." he said.

"I honestly forgot about it.... What am I going to do with it now? It's actually much too beautiful and expensive to just be thrown in the garbage. Even though I'd like to burn it." I replied.

"I know what you mean.... How about donating it or selling it?" asked Ro.

"That's an option, but it would feel like I'm passing on my bad luck and his bad karma to another bride. You know? I'd like to do something with it that really helps other people, but not for a wedding. Because this thing really isn't a lucky charm," I said.

"Hmm... just a minute..." Roman then replied and pulled out his phone and started searching for something.

"What do you think of the Angel Gown Program? This wonderful program provides comfort to grieving families who have lost a newborn in the NICU. Volunteer seamstresses from around the world take donated wedding gowns and transform them into beautiful baby clothes for the final journey home." he read aloud.

Immediately, tears came to my eyes. This was wonderful. What greater gift can you give another family than to donate your dress to this very special cause after your failed wedding?

"That's such a beautiful idea, Ro. I really think that would be the best thing." I replied, sniffling.

"I'm glad you like it. But now smile, Shortcake.... When the time comes, you'll find a dress you'll love just as much or even more," Roman said, reaching for my chin to turn my head in his direction.

He gave me a long kiss. The butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I looked him in the eye afterwards.

"I love you. Thank you for being you." I whispered.

"You're welcome." he said with a wink to make me laugh.

And it worked. I laughed out loud as he helped me to my feet.

"I love you too, Shortcake." he then added.