30 Fun in the sun

Novalee POV

"Wow... It's even more beautiful than I remembered," I said as we were escorted up to our cottage by the bellboy.

Roman held my hand tightly in his and made sure I got up the steps safely. Ever since we left the doctor's office, a wide, happy smile was constantly on his face. Even when he took a nap during the flight, he smiled. And it gave me such a feeling of love and bliss to see him so over the moon.

I kept imagining what it would be like to see him with our baby in his arms. It was a beautiful thought. Also I could imagine how he would play with our child or maybe later with children. As I knew him and his family it would certainly be pretty rough at times. But I knew that if I could put up with that back then, then a child of ours could do so even more.

"You're right. That brings up some memories." Roman replied and gave me a kiss on my hand as he brought it to his mouth.

I looked at him and knew exactly what memory was going through his mind. His eyes twinkled mischievously and his full lips pulled into a smirk. Not that I could blame him.

It was here on this island that our relationship had changed dramatically. Where our friendship became something much deeper, more meaningful. It was the place where we admitted to ourselves that we had more than we ever thought possible.

My escape back then had actually been the path to paradise. In more than one way. 

Roman tipped the bellboy after the two of them had put the luggage in its place. Meanwhile, I opened the door to the patio. The air smelled so fresh and clean, slightly salty from the sea whose waves broke rough on the beach today. The birds were singing loudly to greet us.

I held onto the railing as I soaked up everything about this magical place. How different my life might be today if I hadn't asked Roman to come to St. Lucia....

I didn't have more time to think about it because Roman hugged me from behind. His arms wrapped loosely around me as he pulled me close. He pressed a kiss into the small dent just below my ear before resting his chin on my shoulder.

"I love you, Shortcake." he then whispered.

"I love you too." I replied and turned my head to the side to give my husband a proper kiss.

*****

The next few days were simply heavenly. We both still loved this place with all our hearts. And I knew we always would. Somehow I wanted to have a piece of this paradise with me always and I had the perfect idea how Roman and I could have that.

"Okay... Does this look good? Wait... there's something missing..." he said after painting me with mud.

It was just as much fun as the first time. I was glad, however, that the strong smell of sulfur did not seem to bother our bean.

Roman had left a small heart on my belly free. He wanted to make a nice photo with which we would announce our pregnancy in a few weeks. He placed my hands on both sides of the heart. But it seemed that he was not yet satisfied with the result.

He looked around for a moment until something caught his eye. He quickly went to one of the bushes and picked a flower. When he came closer again I saw that it was one or rather two Frangipani blossoms.

He put one behind my ear and the other between my fingers so that it completed the picture. I loved it already, although my angle of view was somewhat limited.

Roman took a few photos before showing them to me. And what can I say... they were perfect. Adorable, special, and simply perfect. There was no better word for it.

"Oh you did that so well! I love it. These pictures are definitely going to get printed." I said and then gave him a kiss.

The proud father-to-be had more ideas, though.

"I love the sun... Can you finally stop taking pictures of me and relax?" I asked with a laugh as we were on the beach an hour later enjoying a lovely picnic.

I had laid down in the warm sand and closed my eyes. But I couldn't relax because Roman was dashing back and forth taking numerous photos of my not-yet-existent bump.

"One more, then it's done. I promise." replied Roman as he rummaged through the beach bag.

At first I thought he was looking for the sunscreen, but I was wrong.

"Why did you bring Nes?" I asked, surprised.

I thought Nes had been sitting on my nightstand earlier, as usual. He was so sly. He must have slipped it in the bag when I was in the bathroom.

"For a special photo, of course. Lie down." he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I did what he said. I lay down relaxed with one knee slightly pulled up and waited to see what he was going to do. Carefully he put Nes on my belly and then took a few steps back. Again he began to take pictures. I had no idea how many more photos he was going to take of my side. But as long as he was having fun...

"Okay Mrs Reigns. Done." he announced as he finally laid down next to me in the sand.

He gave me a quick kiss before finally relaxing. Roman grabbed my hand and held it tightly in his as we soaked up the rays of the sun and the peace. We probably wouldn't have much chance to enjoy peace this way in the future, but neither of us would want it any other way.