19 She's fine

Roman POV

My heart was still beating at a million beats per minute as I listened to Novalee give her statement to the police. Every single detail was so horrifying that I could hardly believe how close it all was.

That sick bastard! I would have loved to get my hands on him myself. He probably wouldn't have gotten off so lightly. I could still kill him for trying to hurt Nova.

I admired my girl so much for keeping herself levelheaded in such a dangerous situation and even being able to beat up not one, but two people. Even though I wished it had never been necessary, I was damn proud.

"Can I go home now? I need to lie down. That was a lot today." she finally asked the officer who wrote down everything she said while the others searched the garage and the house.

"I think it would be better if you went to the hospital first and got checked out. Just to be on the safe side. After all, you've been injected with something that could have side effects. And also, I can see you're getting a black eye and I think your wrist is bruised. I'm sure it's not serious, but we don't want to take any chances," the officer said.

And he was right. It was probably a good idea to have her checked out first. She looked pretty pale, not that that was that uncommon in such a situation.

"He's right, Shortcake. Come on...all the sooner you can go home." I said to her and gave her a light kiss on the hair.

"Okay fine." she replied exhaustedly.

*****

"Do you want something to eat or drink? You're probably starving." I asked as we arrived at my house hours later.

I hugged her tightly, happy that nothing had happened to her. Well, except for a black eye and a few other bruises. It was nothing compared to what could have been.

"Would you mind making me a snack? I'm going to take a quick shower." she replied.

"Of course I wouldn't mind. Apple slices with peanut butter and a cup of tea?" I asked, knowing she liked that.

"Sounds good." replied Nova as she looked up at me.

I leaned down and gave her a light but loving kiss. Then I watched as she made her way to the bedroom. Before I made my way to the kitchen, however, I went to the car to get her suitcase. Sure, she already had enough clothes here, but I wanted her to have whatever she wanted.

I quickly brought the suitcase inside and then set about preparing her snack. It didn't take long and the water started to boil. I filled the cup and then put everything on a small tray. Careful not to spill anything, I went into the bedroom. And to my surprise Nova was already finished showering. I had expected her to take more time. Probably she was too tired.

"Thank you, Ro." she said as I placed the tray next to her on the nightstand.

"You're welcome. How are you feeling?" I asked as I took off my shoes and sat down in bed with her.

"Exhausted. Headache.... Pretty shaken up actually. But you know... Kind of calmer, too, knowing the scumbag's in jail." she replied.

She ate her snack and kept sipping her tea while I held her. It didn't take long for her eyes to fall shut again and again. Eventually she couldn't fight it anymore and relaxed as she drifted deeper into sleep.

I held my girl the whole time, not willing to let her go.

But suddenly the doorbell rang. And it was persistent. Again and again the noise sounded. Because I didn't want Nova to wake up, I hurried to the door to see who had clearly lost their mind.

"Where is she? Where's my baby?" asked Gloria the second I opened the door and she rushed into the house.

"Lower your voice and calm down please. She's sleeping and I don't want her to wake up. Her day has been bad enough." I said to her mother, stopping her from storming into the bedroom like a wild woman.

Nova's father was calmer as he followed his wife into the house, but I knew him well enough to know he was just as concerned about their daughter.

"But she's okay?" he wanted to know.

"Yes, we went to the hospital and except for a few bruises, she's fine. She just needs to rest. The police now have enough evidence that the son of a bitch is going to rot in jail for a long time.

The camera was rolling the whole time, recording every word about his disgusting plan. So he can't talk his way out of it or blame it on the woman. They searched the whole house and found more evidence. So don't worry, he can't hurt her anymore." I explained to them.

"Oh thank God! Thank you for saving my baby, Roman." said Gloria, throwing her arms around my neck.

"I didn't do anything. Nova was the one who beat the crap out of those two. If anything, I let her down. I let her out of my sight." I replied, hanging my head in defeat.

I wasn't sure I could ever forgive myself for that.

"Don't talk nonsense, son... You are the one who prevented her from marrying that disturbed, sick man in the first place. And that alone is worth a lot. Don't beat yourself up. You said yourself she's fine. And we can assure you we've never seen Novalee so happy," Bill said.

"Bill's right. You are the best thing to come into Nova's life. We've known you for so long, Roman, and we know you'd never let anything bad happen to our baby girl. This... today... was not because of you. You can't control everything. You're a good man.

Okay... we should head home then. Nova needs to rest. Tell her we'll come by tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I should make her her favorite dessert. That's always helped to lift her spirits," Gloria replied.

"Strawberry shortcakes?" I asked with a grin.

"You know it." she winked at me.

We said our goodbyes and then I went back to my Shortcake.

She hadn't moved a bit. Her breathing was deep and even. That was good. I was afraid that she might have nightmares again, but nothing indicated that. If anything, I could make out a small smile on her lips.

I imagined that she was having a pleasant, sweet dream. Maybe she was dreaming about the same things I was. About the future.