14 Your own way

Roman POV

I stood in the doorway to the bathroom and watched Nova get ready. It had somehow something soothing to see how she curled her hair. Even though I didn't expect it to take this long.

"Shortcake, we need to hit the road soon. Do you need much longer?" I asked softly as I stepped up behind her.

"Nope, I'll be done in a minute. Not everyone is blessed with your luscious waves." She laughed as she unplugged the curling iron and gave her hair another blast of hairspray.

"I have to admit it was worth the wait. You look cute with curls. Don't get me wrong... you always look beautiful, but this makes you look even sassier." I replied as I wrapped my arms around her waist from behind.

Novalee put her earrings in and then grabbed the turtle on the leather necklace and tied it around her neck. It was one of the souvenirs I had bought her on St. Lucia. And it fit perfectly with the black tank top and denim shorts she was wearing today.

"Then it fits my personality perfectly." she replied and turned around in my arms so she could embrace me as well.

"Damn straight it does," I agreed before giving her a kiss. First on her forehead then on her nose and finally on her lips.

*****

"Roman. Hello my boy. I didn't know you were coming over." Mom said after she opened the door and saw me.

She quickly pulled me into her arms to hug me tight. But then someone standing behind me caught her eye.

"Novalee! Oh what a wonderful surprise. My darling, come in, come in." she said exuberantly as she detached herself from me and practically pushed me aside to hug Nova.

"Hi Aunt Pat, how are you?" Nova wanted to know.

"Excellent, sweetie." replied Mom, and then pulled us into the house with her.

"Gloria, look who decided to join us!" she said as she stepped into the living room where Nova's mom was waiting.

"Hi Mom." she said.

"Hi Gloria. How are you?" I added.

"Oh hi my baby! It's so good to see you. And hello you handsome boy. Did you come here together? I hope you haven't been up to any shenanigans again." Gloria replied as she also hugged us tightly.

"That depends on your definition of shenanigans. We knew you were meeting today, so we thought it was the perfect opportunity to tell you something," I said with a laugh.

"Oh gosh... Well, tell us everything then," my mom said as she sat down next to Gloria on the sofa.

They both looked at us the same way they looked at us when we were little. And it was just as intimidating as it was back then.

"Well... to put it bluntly, Nova and I are a couple now." I replied, putting my arm around her so I could pull her close.

"Ha! See, Pat! I told you those two would get together eventually. You owe me a bottle of wine!" said Gloria.

"Excuse me? I was the one who always knew we'd be a family someday. That means I get a bottle from you!" laughed Mom.

"Why did everyone know that before us?" replied Nova as she looked to me.

"Maybe we were just too blind to the obvious..." I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Oh that's one way of looking at it, son. But to be perfectly honest, I think you both were just damn stubborn. I remember exactly how much you always looked out for Novalee. After she lost her tooth, you watched her every move. You always made sure she got the first cookie and the first glass of lemonade. Whenever other kids were mean to her, you'd go after them," Mom replied.

"That's right. Remember how Nova used to follow him and the twins around like a little shadow? She couldn't even be stopped from wrestling with them. No matter how rough they were with her." Gloria added.

"Oh yeah, I remember that. And then there was that thing when Jimmy wanted to put Nes in the toilet." Mom then said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, not remembering.

"That was when you and the twins were about 8 and Nova was 5.... Nova beat Jimmy at jump rope and he was so mad he grabbed Nes and tried to flush her down the toilet. You tackled him to the floor and threatened to put his head in the toilet. My floor vase got broken in the process," she told us.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he just threatened him." Nova's mom laughed out loud.

"Well... it worked, anyway. No one ever touched Nes again. The great protector from day one." Mom then said.

"Roman, you always looked out for my little girl. We always knew that you two had a connection that was stronger than just friendship. But you had to find your own way," Gloria said.