33 Teddy bears & onesies

Novalee POV

"I'm telling you, Ro... The Momma's are having way too much fun with this whole thing." I said to my husband as I finished wiping down the countertops in the kitchen while he unloaded the dishwasher.

"I know. And it's really not fair that they took 2 extra weeks to organize everything. You'd think they'd be pretty prepared by now since she's already had to wait an additional month." he replied.

"Maybe they were shopping like two lunatics for the baby or something. I mean, it's not a baby shower, but I wouldn't put it past them to make it seem that way on their part. Did your mom say anything about how they were going to tell us?" I wanted to know.

"No, not a word. And she enjoys knowing something we want to know so badly." he laughed.

"Dammit. Neither did my mom. I wonder what they're up to. I have a feeling it's not going to come down to the classic balloon." I replied.

"Probably not. But don't worry, Shortcake. We just have to be patient for another 2 hours" Ro said as he came over to give me a kiss.

His hand stroked my baby bump as he did so. The baby rolled back and forth making his or her daddy very happy. Roman was right. It was good that we didn't have to wait much longer. After all, we only had about 3 months to prepare everything for the arrival of our little one.

I could hardly wait to finally pick out a color for the nursery and go shopping. Although I had already bought one or two things. But that was anything but easy when you didn't know if it was a boy or a girl.

Fortunately, this did not apply to the furniture we had selected and ordered together. It was easy to find something neutral. And I was already in love with the beautiful white crib that would be delivered in the next few weeks. I was sure that it would be perfect not only for this baby.

*****

"Why the heck doesn't this fit? I just bought it last week!" I grumbled as I tried to squeeze into the dress I had bought especially for our party.

But the baby obviously had other plans because no matter how hard I tried it didn't fit. I huffed in frustration as I now had no choice but to find something else that I hoped would fit. And I had to hurry because we were supposed to be on our way to the location a few minutes ago.

"Baby girl, you could even put on one of my old football jerseys and still be the most beautiful woman in the room." said Ro as he stepped behind me and put his hands on my shoulders.

He pressed a kiss to my hair. Immediately I relaxed a little.

"Well, good thing you think so...because if this doesn't fit either, then I won't have a choice." I laughed as I pulled a dress off the hanger.

It was the red and black maxi dress I wore back in St. Lucia when Roman came to visit me. It seemed like a sign, because it was the day I first saw Roman for the man he was. The one who could be more than my closest friend.

"Oh Shortcake..." said Ro softly when he recognized it.

"Fingers crossed, Ro... It might work." I replied as I tried it on.

And to my great surprise, it fit perfectly. Since it was actually oversized, it now clung tightly to my new curves. I looked in the mirror and couldn't help but smile.

"Damn, Mrs. Reigns.... Too bad we have to go. You look gorgeous." he said, his voice lower than normal.

"Thank you, my love. I guess we're a good match." I replied as I turned around and pulled him into my arms as best I could.

Roman leaned down and gave me a kiss. His eyes sparkled and I knew that it would have been easy to lose us in that moment. If it wasn't for the curiosity to finally find out what our baby would be.

*****

"Okay my dear family and friends. Now that we are all gathered here, it is time to finally find out what the newest member of this family will be. I know how excited Novalee and Roman are. And that's why we don't want to keep them waiting any longer," my mother said as she and Pat stood to the right and left of a white closet.

They explained that this closet was filled with lots of little things and clothes in the right color for our little darling.

Roman hugged me from the side as we both waited for the doors to finally open. But of course they delayed it for endless seconds. Eventually, though, the time had come.

The Momma's opened the closet and revealed a dream in baby blue. Teddy bears, onesies, socks, blankets and so much more in the color of the sky above us.

We are having a baby boy. A little man who hopefully was just like his daddy. So beautiful and strong.

"A boy, Ro! We're having a son!" I cried with joy as I threw my arms around my husband.

"Mommy's boy." he whispered before giving me a loving kiss.

"I love you, Shortcake and our little champion." he said afterwards.

"We love you too, Daddy... You have no idea how much I love you and how much little man already does," I replied.