18 It's over

Roman POV

"Okay... You got everything, Shortcake?" I asked as I stepped outside with the suitcase.

But Nova was nowhere to be seen. The trunk was still open and nothing had changed.

"Nova? Where are you, baby girl?" I asked as I walked back into the house.

Was she perhaps in the bathroom? Over and over I called for her as I walked through the rooms but just couldn't find her.

"Come on, Shortcake... This isn't funny!" I shouted.

Panic began to set in. I pulled out my phone to call her, but it went straight to voicemail. As quickly as I could, I went into the garage where the monitor and the other stuff from her security system was.

I went through the footage of the last few minutes until I saw something. With horror I saw what the camera had recorded in the driveway. I saw two people in black clothes grabbing Nova and giving her a shot before dragging her away.

My heart dropped into my stomach when I saw what had happened. And it was happening right under my nose. Those damn cops. If they had done something, this wouldn't have happened.

But now they had to do something before it was too late. I could only pray that it wasn't already too late. I had promised Nova that I would take care of her, that nothing would happen to her. And now I had failed miserably.

I called the number of the cop we had just talked to this morning. He had said we should call him when we had more evidence. And we now had that in the worst way.

Please God, let her be okay. I couldn't lose her! She wasn't just a part of my life. She was my life. Everything about us was inextricably connected.

*****

Novalee POV

Slowly I woke up again, but kept my eyes tightly closed because I heard noises not too far from me. Voices that were heatedly discussing with each other. One of them was female and completely unknown to me. But then there was the other voice. It was familiar to me. And not only that. A cold shiver ran down my spine.

"Just stick to the plan. Everything has worked the way we wanted it to so far. Get the camera ready and then take a lap to see if the coast is clear. We don't have much time." said Arthur to the woman.

"Will do. Hopefully she'll wake up soon so we can get started. I thought you checked the dosage?" the woman asked.

"I did. Don't worry about it. Now get to work," he replied.

Afterwards, I heard what sounded like a garage door. I tried to stay calm, but my breathing quickened anyway.

"Oh come on, Nova... Stop playing. I know you're awake." he said, his voice mocking.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You're not going to get away with this! You're going to jail!" I said loudly as I sat up on a mattress in the corner.

I hoped that if I was loud enough maybe someone would hear me.

"Well well... Is that any way to talk to me? I'm not going to answer that. Because we don't have time." he replied as he came up to me and grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me up.

"What are you talking about?" I wanted to know.

"You're going to marry me now, honey. Just like it was planned. And then you're going to... tragically... have an accident." he said as he dragged me in front of a camera.