25 Take our chances

Roman POV

"Hey there's the birthday boy! Are you in a better mood than this morning?" Jey asked me when he came strolling over as I was warming up.

"Not really... I just want to go home. I'm worried about Nova." I replied as I reached for my towel.

"I'm sure she's fine. It's just a mild case of bronchitis. And she went to the doctor with it right away. A few days of rest and medication and she'll be fine. Don't worry about it." he said.

"I know. But I still don't have to like leaving her alone during this time, do I? If I'm ever not feeling well, she's always there to take care of me too." I explained to him.

"Dude, relax.... You still have your whole life to take care of Nono. Your worries aren't helping her. Call her for the 5th time today and hear how she's doing. And after that, you can have some soul food delivered to her at home. And by this time tomorrow, you'll be with her again," he replied.

"You know I hate it when you're such a know-it-all..." I grumbled.

"Yeah well... You're kind of a pain in the ass sometimes too. So I'd say we're even." He laughed and then trailed off again.

I snorted. Maybe he was right, but that didn't mean I wanted it to be rubbed in my face. After taking a sip, I picked up my phone and dialed her number.

Hopefully I didn't disturb her sleeping right now.

"Hi my birthday Ro!" said Novalee's voice, sounding more cheerful than I had expected.

She was definitely feeling better. The thought of that helped me a lot. Relief ran through me.

"Hi my Shortcake... How are you feeling?" i asked.

"Oh much better. The cough is almost gone. My nose is no longer congested, which means the headache is gone. And I haven't had a fever since this morning. I just took a bath. With lots of eucalyptus. I smell like a koala bear for sure. I'm just a little disappointed that we can't spend your birthday together," she explained.

Nova's voice sounded much better too. She was definitely on the mend.

"I know, baby girl.... But I'll see you very soon. And it really helps me to hear that you're feeling better, Shortcake. I've felt guilty leaving you alone when you're sick." I admitted.

"Oh Ro you're really sweet and I appreciate you wanting to take care of me, but I was asleep most of the time anyway. So you didn't miss much." she replied.

But I knew she was just saying that to make me feel a little better. But to be honest it didn't help much. I still would have preferred to be there and hold her in my arms.

We talked for a few minutes until I noticed that she seemed quite tired. So I said that it would be better for her if she continued to rest.

After we hung up I looked for the perfect dinner I could have delivered to her. Some chicken noodle soup and then some mac and cheese, a smoothie and some vegetable sticks. Oh and most importantly, chocolate cake. That way she could choose what appealed to her the most.

*****

The next day it was already late afternoon when I finally drove up the driveway to our house. Why was it always when you couldn't wait to get home that everything took so much longer than usual?

I turned off the car before getting out and taking my suitcases out of the trunk. With quick steps I went into the house. Immediately I was greeted by a wonderful aroma. I had not expected that. I thought my girl would be in bed resting.

"Roman!" I heard her call as she ran exuberantly into my arms.

"Hello my darling! You seem to be doing much better!" I remarked as I held her tightly against me.

"Oh you bet I am. I'm in the process of cooking us a nice dinner. Why don't you go freshen up?" she replied.

"Just a minute. Let me look at you! My goodness, what have I done to deserve this?" I wanted to know.

She looked so stunning. In the black dress with the puffy skirt and bronzey makeup. Her skin almost glowed like her eyes.

"Well we're celebrating your birthday today. That means I made an extra effort today." she replied as she took my face in her hands.

"Asking permission to kiss you." she then said.

Probably because she wasn't sure I wanted to, since she had been sick.

"Just kiss me, you crazy, gorgeous woman," I replied, closing the gap between us by pulling her closer to me.

As if attracted by magnetism, our lips met. I heard Nova sigh in relief.

"I love you, Ro." she then said softly.

"I love you too, Shortcake." I replied, resting my forehead against hers.

Then she took me by the hand and led me over to our dining area. There, a beautifully dressed table was already waiting for us. With a white tablecloth and long white candles.

"Wow, you're really serious huh?" I asked chuckling.

"Oh yes.... I want to spoil my future husband." she replied as she put her arms around my middle.

God this woman... As I looked at her, I wondered once again how I could have waited so long to make her mine. That was a question to which I would never have an answer. But it made me all the more happy that she was now here with me in our shared home.

Together we ate the fantastic dinner that Nova had cooked and then cleaned up together before moving on to other things.

For an eternity we kissed. Sometimes stormy and intense, then again slow and gentle. Our hands explored the body, the curves of the other. So familiar and yet so new.

At some point we moved our little celebration to the bedroom. Piece after piece, our clothes ended up on the floor.

"Baby... you should use a condom. You know... I had to take antibiotics and that can mess with the pill." gasped Nova then.

"Or... maybe... well, or we'll take our chances. We'll just let fate decide if it's the right time." I replied as my hand slid along her thigh.

"Are you sure about this?" she asked breathlessly.

"I am... Do you want a baby?" I replied.

"Yes... I do. Let's make a baby, Ro..." said Nova and then pulled my head down to her and kissed me deeply.