29 In awe

Roman POV

"Did you print out the boarding passes, Shortcake?" I called out as I brought our suitcases downstairs.

"Yes, I did. It's all in my purse. What time is it?" she replied from the bedroom.

"Almost 9:30. We should get going then if you want to grab something to eat." I replied before walking out of the house and stowing the luggage in the car.

"Alright then. Everything's locked up. The security system is up and running. Let's go on our honeymoon." she said as she left the house in a good mood and walked towards me.

"I'd love to." I replied as I put an arm around her middle and pulled her to me.

I gave her a loving kiss. Nova put her hand to my cheek to make the kiss last a little longer.

"How do you feel?" I asked as my other hand slowly slid over her stomach.

"Physically great. I'm just a little disappointed the doctor didn't have an appointment before our honeymoon. I would have loved to see our bean. But I'm still super excited about the alone time with my husband." she replied as she put her hand on mine.

We did this often and now it had such a beautiful reason to do it even more often. Part of me still couldn't quite believe we were actually here. Newly weds and with a little miracle on the way.  

"I know how you feel. Well then, let's go. We still have plenty of time for you to get something good to eat. Can't let my baby mama and the bean go hungry." I said before giving her another kiss on the nose.

"That's right. That's why I love online check-in.... All we have to do is drop off our luggage and then go to security check. It's so much faster than standing in line forever." she replied as I held the door open for her.

I was just getting behind the wheel when her phone started ringing.

"It's the doctor's office." she said before answering the call.

"Ro, a patient canceled her appointment in 30 minutes. Could we make it before the flight to see the bean?" she asked me suddenly.

"Oh you better believe it. And even if not, I'd rebook the flight. I know how important it is for both of us to see the baby," I replied excitedly.

Nova grinned at me and confirmed that we would be there shortly. That was so much better than having to wait another 2 weeks. Even if it might be a bit tight. But at least we were already on our way and the doctor's office was actually on the way to the airport. That meant that at least we didn't have to make a detour.

"Ah Mrs. Reigns, Mr. Reigns... You can go right on through. Since you said you were in a hurry. The doctor is already waiting." said the woman at the registration desk.

Nova and I walked in hand in hand and the doctor greeted us before straightforwardly starting with his seemingly endless questions.

"Okay... let's get to the part you can't wait for," he said.

Nova lay down so the doctor could start the ultrasound. I was so fidgety that I grabbed her hand to calm myself down a little. But it didn't help much.

"Daddy's nervous." she giggled softly.

"A little." I admitted, pressing a kiss to her hand.

"And here we have the new little person. Judging by the size, you're about 10 weeks along. That means we can already hear your baby's heartbeat now." the doctor explained as the little bean appeared on the monitor.

"Oh my goodness. Look at that." whispered Nova as the first tears formed in her eyes.

The strong flutter of our baby's heart echoed through the room, leaving us both overwhelmed with love and in awe. When I saw this little being for the first time it became so real. 

"Everything looks excellent. This is a strong, healthy baby. And mom is doing well, too. But please don't be surprised should you still experience morning sickness. This is quite normal. I'll quickly print you the pictures and get the prescription and then you can be on your way." the doctor then said.

"I can't tell you how happy I am." I said quietly as Nova sat up and put her arms around my neck.

She had her face buried against my neck. An emotional sniffle could be heard. I knew exactly how she felt. I felt exactly the same way.

"I'm so happy too, Ro. Thank you. I love you." she said softly.

"I love you too, Shortcake. You have no idea. And I love our baby." I replied.

"You know... we could tell everyone at Thanksgiving. Our families are always together then anyway." she then said as she leaned back so she could look at me.

"Oh good idea... The momma's will freak out." I replied.

"You bet they will." she laughed.