v ~ Killing a Snake Lady

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter five ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
005. Killing a Snake Lady

└────── •✧• ──────┘

Cassie wanted to point her middle fingers to the sky. At least she had someone to blame for everything going horribly wrong.

She walked behind Annabeth, next to Percy. Grover was in front of him.

They followed the river through the woods 'to get to grandmother's house' she joked to herself.

Grover was shaking with fear. "Three Kindly Ones. All three at once."

Percy was shocked too, but Cassie found a response.

"I know right, but what a weird name. 'Kindly Ones', I don't think they feel very 'kindly'. Ancient Greeks are weird."

Annabeth ignored any of her delirious comments and kept dragging them along, repeating: "Come on! The farther away we get, the better."

"All our money was back there. Our food and clothes. Everything. The only things saved were a flannel and polaroid." Percy prompted, elbowing Cassie.

Cassie would've replied, but she knew Annabeth was all fired up now. Being enemies for so long really lets you get to know the person. It was gross.

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight—" Annabeth was interrupted.

"What did you want me to do? Let you get killed?" Percy retorted.

"Would've put me out of my misery if she was gone." Cassie spoke. Percy shot her a 'not right now look' and Annabeth glared.

"You didn't need to protect me, Percy. I would've been fine." Annabeth replied.

"Slice like a sandwich bread, but fine." Grover added. Cassie pointed at him, nodding in agreement.

"Shut up, goat boy." Annabeth answered.

"Don't talk to him like that. Not everything's about you Chase. Maybe Percy wanted to save Grover. Ever think about that?" Cassie snarked.

Grover bleated sadly. "Tin cans . . . a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

They trudged along the muddy ground, weaving through the trees. Cassie was definitely gonna need new converses after this.

Annabeth glanced back and yanked Cassie next to her. She sent the brunette a look and fell back to walk with Percy.

"Look, I . . ." Her voice wavered as she thought of what to say. "I appreciate your coming back for us, okay? That was really brave." She finally got out.

"We're a team right?" Percy said.

Annabeth spaced out for a few seconds. "It's just that if you died. . . aside from the fact that it would really suck for you, it would mean the quest was over. This may be my only chance to see the real world." She admitted.

Cassie glance back at the two seeing Percy staring at Annabeth. It made her feel weird but she shook it off.

She turned back to her conversation with Grover.

"So who's worth more?" Cassie inquired.

"What do you mean?" Grover said.

"You heard me. Who's worth more? Me or Chase?"

Grover sighed, but he knew there was no way out of this.

Anyone who knew Cassie, knew she was very persistent. She never gave up if her heart was set on something.