xi ~ Trying to Avoid the Belly of the Beast

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter eleven ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
011. Trying to Avoid the Belly of the Beast

└────── •✧• ──────┘

Imagine a monster island . . .

Things like dead trees, sharp rocks, maybe some lava even, and bloody leftover bones come to mind right?

Now if you're imagining Polyphemus' island scratch all of that.

I guess the rope bridge across a chasm was good if the cyclops was going to shove them off or come from below and eat them.

But other than that, this place was a stereotypical island used for postcard backgrounds.

The lush fields, coconut trees, and sandy beaches were nothing like a monster's island should be.

Cassie gazed over the area as their ship drew near. Annabeth took in the richly sweet air.

"The Fleece," The blonde announced.

Percy and Cassie nodded. They didn't need to see the Fleece to feel its power.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy asked.

"It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is." Annabeth replied.

Percy couldn't help but feel a bit guilty, ruining an island this amazing.

Cassie saw how his face fell and threw an arm around him.

"Don't worry Kelp Head, it'll be fine. Besides, it's our only option really . . ."

The daughter of Ares' voice died away at the end realizing her attempt to be reassuring might've just made him feel worse.

But Percy gave her a small thankful smile throwing his arm over her shoulder too.

Together the two looked at the dozens of sheep covering the meadow.

They seemed pretty calm but were basically the size of hippos.

Following the path beside the sheep, into the hills, there was a ginormous oak.

A glittering gold thing hung from one of its branches.

"This is too easy. We could just hike up there and take it?" Percy observed suspiciously.

Annabeth's brows furrowed. "There's supposed be a guardian. A dragon or . . ."

Then, a deer came from the bushes and wandered into the middle of all the sheep.

After a group bleat the sheep dashed to the deer, suffocating it in the crowd of wool.

Less than a second after, the sheep dispersed and all that was left was a pile of clean bones.

Cassie's mouth fell open in horror.

"I think we found our guardians." The brunette muttered, still shocked by the sheep.

Annabeth's eyes met Cassie's.

"They're like piranhas," she remarked.

"Yeah, piranhas all decked out in fur. How are we supposed to—"

Annabeth gasped, shaking Cassie a bit in surprise.

"Carter! Look."

Cassie's eyes followed where the blonde was pointing. At the foot of the meadow there was a boat.