x ~ What's Black and White and Free in Vegas

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter ten ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
010. What's Black and White and Free in Vegas

└────── •✧• ──────┘

Ares was waiting for them, leaning against his motorcycle.

"Well, well. You didn't get yourself killed."

"You knew it was a trap." Percy accused.

"It was meant for you, punk not Cassandra." Ares said before grinning smugly. "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV."

"If you're calling me stupid, it's a genetic trait." Cassie replied. "You're a jerk."

She shoved his shield into his arms. Annabeth and Grover held their breaths.

Ares threw the shield in the air and it spun, molding into a bulletproof vest.

"See that truck over there? That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

He pointed to the zoo transport van.

"You're kidding." Percy said.

The latch on the back of the trunk was undone with a snap of the war god's fingers.

"Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job." Ares tossed him a blue backpack.

Inside was fresh clothes, drachmas, 20 bucks, and a pack of Double Stuf Oreos.

"I don't want your lousy-" Percy went to protest.

"Thank you, Lord Ares. Thanks a lot." Grover shot Percy a warning look.

The son of Poseidon gritted his teeth but slung the back pack onto his shoulders.

Inside the diner, the waitress who had served them was watching through the window. She dragged the fry cook over, gesturing to them and he nodded, taking a photo.

They were definitely going to be on the newspaper tomorrow.

"You owe me one more thing. You promised me information about my mother." Percy demanded.

"You sure you can handle the news? She's not dead." Ares started his motorcycle.

"What do you mean?" Percy mumbled, waves of emotions rolling over him.

"I mean she was taken away from the Minotaur before she could die. She was turned into a shower of gold right? That's metamorphosis. Not death. She's being kept." Ares explained.

Percy wasn't getting it, but maybe Cassie understood because it was her dad.

"Kept. Why?"

"You need to study war, punk. Hostages. You take somebody to control somebody else."

"Nobody's controlling me." Percy denied.

"Oh yeah? See you around, kid." Ares laughed out.

"You're pretty smug, Lord Ares, for a guy who runs from Cupid statues." Percy taunted, fists clenching in anger.

"We'll meet again, Percy Jackson. Sooner or later if you don't keep her alive." Ares threatened, gesturing to Cassie. There was no joking in his tone. "Next time you're in a fight, watch your back."

He drove off on his Harley.

"I don't need your protection!" Cassie yelled and his retreating figure.