viii ~ Check Fugitive Friend Off The List

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter eight ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
008. Check Fugitive Friend Off the List

└────── •✧• ──────┘

Cassie ran over with Grover and Annabeth. They joined a crowd of people near the arch.

Emergency vehicles surrounded the area as police helicopters flew overhead. News reporters hurried from their vehicles trying to interview any witnesses.

'What did Kelp Head do this time?' Cassie thought exasperated.

The three split and searched the crowd for any sign of Percy, meeting in the middle. Cassie gazed at the sea of people before spotting familiar black hair.

"There!" She exclaimed in a whisper to avoid drawing much attention.

Grover and Annabeth looked where she was pointing and the three weaved through the crowd to Percy.

"Perr-cy." Grover called as the neared him.

The satyr wrapped Percy in a hug.

"We thought you'd gone to Hades the hard way!" Grover cried out.

"It would be more efficient." Cassie nodded. She punched Percy's shoulder lightly. "Good to see you didn't choose to do it though."

She wasn't into hugs. Too touchy and affectionate.

Annabeth was behind Cassie with a stern gaze. She tried to be angry, but she couldn't hide her relief completely.

"We can't leave you alone for five minutes! What happened?"

"I sort of fell." Percy answered.

Cassie let out of laughing-scoff.

"You 'sort of fell' six hundred and thirty feet?"

"Gangway!" yelled a cop from behind them.

The crowd shuffled out of the way and paramedics rushed by with a woman on a stretcher.

"And then there was this huge dog, this huge fire-breathing Chihuahua-"

Cassie's eyes widened and she glance at Percy.

'Fire-breathing chihuahua?'

"Okay, ma'am. Just calm down. Your family is fine. The medication is starting to kick in." One of the paramedic reassured her.

"I'm not crazy! This boy jumped out of the hole and the monster disappeared." The woman insisted. "There he is. That's the boy."

As the lady went to point at Percy, he grabbed Annabeth and Grover, pulling them away. Annabeth latched onto Cassie's arm to keep her with them.

It wasn't because she cared. She just didn't want to face Clarisse's wrath. At least that's what she told herself.

They vanished in the crowd.

"What did you do?" Cassie started.

"Was she talking about the Chihuahua on the elevator?" Annabeth urged.

Percy explained everything. From the fight with Chimera to the message from the underwater lady.

"Mother of all monsters. You're lucky Percy." Cassie frowned.

Percy looked at her like she was crazy.

"Lucky!?"

"I've always wanted to fight something like that you know. Prove my skill." Her frowned changed into a smile. "Good job though."

"We've got to get you to Santa Monica! You can't ignore a summons from your dad." Grover said.

Annabeth wasn't able to give her opinion because a reporter spoke from nearby.

"Percy Jackson. That's right Dan. Channel Twelve has learned that the boy who may have cause this explosion fits the description of a young man wanted by authorities for a serious New Jersey bus accident three days ago. And the boy is believed to be traveling west. For our viewers at home, here is a photo of Percy Jackson."

The group snuck behind the news van and into a nearby alley.

"I've always wanted a criminal friend. Never expected to actually get one." Cassie mumbled.

Percy ignored her comment.

"First things first. We've got to get out of town!" Percy replied to Grover.

They managed to get back to the Amtrak with being seen. Even without Annabeth's cap.

They got on board as the train left for Denver. Police lights flashed through out the sky.

It reminded Cassie of all the times she'd been caught as a kid on the run. She fell asleep dreaming of her years on her own and at camp.

 She fell asleep dreaming of her years on her own and at camp

__________________________________________

ˏˋ°•* author's note

Really short chapter, but I'm excited for the next one with Ares. Enjoy!! (:

—Just Another Overthinker