5. An Evil Five Year Old

Izzy
I hear Katie sigh from beside me.

"It's not fair," Katie complains.

"What's not fair?" I mumble into my arm.

"You."

I roll over onto my side to see Katie. "What?"

Katie runs a hand down her face. "Your skin color is not fair. You stay tan year round while my pale ass is out in the sun for hours and still looks like a sheet of paper."

I lean back on my hands and let out a deep belly laugh.

"What can I say? Having a Cuban mom does have its benefits."

Ava takes off her gigantic sunglasses. "You better shut your mouth, Katie Grace. You don't know what pale is till your a redhead."

Ava dog ears the book she's reading. "I can be in the sun for ten minutes and get a burn."

"Well, at least you get some color." Katie throws back.

"I do not. I turn red, then peel, then straight back to white."

We all laugh.

I sit completely up and take a long swig of water. Suddenly I see Tyler, Wyatt a Derek walking out of the water.

I glance at Katie and she rolls her eyes.
"I think they've been watching too much Baywatch."

"Hey, sweetie y'all tired of boogie boarding?" Katie asks Wyatt.

"Nah, I just missed you," Wyatt responds with a smirk.

Tyler throws his board down and plops onto my beach towel. "Is the water cold?"

Tyler shrugs his shoulder while drinking water.

"Did you take a nap?" Tyler asks.

I smile. "I tried to but I couldn't."

I notice Tyler's eyes get a mischievous twinkle to them and I know he's come up with a stupid joke.

"Probably because you didn't have me beside you giving you a peaceful presence."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, that's probably it."

Tyler swings his arm around my shoulders pulling me against his cold body.

Beside us Wyatt has his arms locked around Katie's waist holding her captive in his lap.

Katie tried to look annoyed but her eyes say something else.

"You girls want to get in the water? Tyler asks.

"I would love to." Katie sings, trying to squirm out of Wyatt's hold.

Wyatt pulls her closer to him. "You can wait, I'm cold."

Ava leans out from under her umbrella to look at the sky. "Are there any clouds covering the sun?"

Derek rolls his eyes. "Hon, I think you'll be fine you haven't been in the sun at all today, a little won't hurt."

Ava glares at him. "Fine, but no more than an hour."

She pulls sunscreen from her bag. "But first we need to reapply. Here Der, turn around I need to get your back covered."

"Wait reapply sunscreen I didn't even put anything on," Wyatt says.

Ava stops and gives Wyatt a surprised look.
"You're joking right?"

I notice Wyatt's lip twitching. "No, I didn't put any on."

Ava gives her motherly scolding look to Katie.
"Great girlfriend you have there."

That comment triggers Katie and they all start arguing.

I roll back onto my stomach to continue tanning, tuning out the arguing.

"You're not getting in the water?" Tyler asks me.

"Nah," I mumble.

I hear Tyler walk away.

A few minutes later I feel shade come over me.

"Helton, you're blocking my sun." I snap.

Suddenly cold water droplets rain down onto my back.

"Tyler!" I scream.

I roll away to see Tyler smiling like an evil five-year-old.

I watch Derek pull Ava into the water and Wyatt carry Katie deeper.

"Ty, I'm not getting in," I say coldly.

Tyler ignores me and throws me onto his shoulder.

"Tyler!" I say in between laughter.

"Come on sweetheart, who goes to the beach and doesn't get in the water." Tyler huffs.

"Whatever," I mumble.

Once Tyler gets about waist deep I feel him adjust his grip on me. "Please put me down gently."

"Okay." Tyler sings.

Suddenly I side off Tyler's back and into the icy water.

As soon as I go under the water stings my skin. I push to the surface to find a hysterical Tyler.

Giving him the nastiest smile I have I run towards him.

It's more of a slow-motion run because of the water, but a run nonetheless.

Tyler goes deeper and deeper till I can't reach the bottom but he still can.

Luckily I was on a swim team all throughout middle school.

I finally reach Tyler and climb onto him. Tyler pulls me so my legs are wrapped around his front.

Are noses are a hair apart and I can feel his uneven breaths against my lips.

I let myself get lost in his sapphire, blue eyes.
Finally, Tyler closes the distance between us and kisses me long and slow.

Every time we kiss it's like the first time. Butterflies erupt in my stomach and my body tingles.

Tyler pulls away ever so slightly. "Was getting in the water worth it?"

"Absolutely," I whisper against his lips.

Before we can kiss and my back gets blasted with cold water. I turn my head to find Katie chasing Wyatt through the waves that are lapping around us.

"Sorry Iz, didn't mean to disturb your make-out session," Katie says over her shoulder.

She finally catches Wyatt because a wave knocks him under the water. When he comes up Katie splashes him with water.

If only we could stay in this moment forever.

Later on, we finally emerge from the water and back onto dry land. Tyler builds a sand castle while I tan.

Ava goes back to hiding under her umbrella with her book, (that I'm pretty sure is erotica) and Derek falls asleep beside her on Katie's towel.

Wyatt and Katie decide to stay in the water to see who can boogie board the best.

For dinner we all to an outside restaurant to eat.

Halfway through Katie and Tyler get into a heated argument about something. 

Oh now I remember what, Tyler kicked Katie's foot then she kicked his, and so forth. Long story short, Tyler bumped into a waiter who then proceeded to dump hot soup onto a sunburnt Ava.

Then Ava jumped up causing another waiter to spill glass plates.

Then the Manager kicked us out.

On the car ride home we learned that Derek kicked Katie's foot not Tyler

Still, I wouldn't change a thing about today.

Thoughts?

So sorry for the long wait!!

Currently preparing WYFM for the Wattys!