24: You Suck By The Way

Izzy

"Katie Grace Fleming get your ass in here so I can paint red and blue stars on your damn cheeks," I yell into the hallway.

Wyatt who is coming out of the bathroom quirks up an eyebrow at my outburst but says nothing.

Her door flies open and she sticks her head out. "Izzy, I don't want to," she whines.

I stomp my foot dramatically. "Come on, you have to match with us." By us I mean me, Sage, Ava and a reluctant Derek.

She sighs as she walks over to me. "You suck by the way," she grumbles.

I laugh and as I close the door Tyler's eyes catch mine for a moment. Those blue eyes pierce mine and the door clicks shut.

Katie sits down like a sassy five-year-old. "Might as well get it over with."

I chuckle and pull out the face paint. "You're acting like you're getting a tooth pulled."

She rolls her green eyes and I get to work painting stars on her cheeks.

Once I finish I put my things away and Katie stands up. "So, I've noticed you and Tyler seem to be getting along better."

My hand pauses, "We kind of talked the other night."

"Really," The hopefulness in her voice wounds my heart.

"Not that kind of talk. We just decided to restart and be friends," I say, forcing confidence into my voice.

"Oh. Well, that's good." Katie says.

The door opens and Amy walks in with Ava. "Izzy, tell Amy she does not want to dye her hair darker," Ava exclaims.

Katie laughs and I sigh.

———

Today is the Fourth of July, (hence why I painted stars on Katie's cheeks.) and we are going to an annual Fourth of July festival/BBQ.

Every year there's food, dancing, and fireworks. And this is the first year in a while that I'm single.

As we all unload from the cars Katie leaps onto Wyatt's back and I make sure to snap a picture.
Wyatt shakes his head with a playful smile.

"So tonight, I am your official matchmaker," Amy says from beside me.

I laugh as heat floods my cheeks, "As I will be yours."

Amy shoves me and we walk hand in hand into the festival.

There was food, games, and music.

During dinner, Dalton sat beside me and talked my ear off. Then I played some games.

I played corn hole with Wyatt, Katie, and Sage where Wyatt won every time. Then we played horseshoe and Tyler threw one and almost hit Derek in the stomach.

Now I'm watching Katie teach Amy and Ava how to line dance. Ava is very good but Amy is a little awkward.

I have to stifle a laugh when Amy bumps into a guy, she gives him a flirty smile but he glares at her instead. I guess it wasn't the meet cute she was hoping for.

On the other side of the ginormous dance floor, Derek and Wyatt are watching them.
As Wyatt watches Katie he has a very intense stare. I almost wish I had a guy look at me like that.