32: We Can Both Die Alone With a Bunch of Cats

Izzy

I barely got any sleep last night. My mind was way too busy trying to figure out what went wrong last night.

What caused Drew to run back inside after kissing me? Did I have bad breath or am I that bad of a kisser?

When I check my phone I see a text from him.

DrewBerry: Meet me at the bakery by your house at 9:00.

I check the time and realize I have thirty minutes to get ready.

Of course, he wouldn't ask me what time I could come.

The closer I get the more nervous I become and the more my hands sweat. I park my car and wipe my hands over my shorts.

When I walk in I look around and find Drew sitting in the back with two chocolate chip muffins. With a shaky breath, I walk toward his table.

I slide in and Drew's eye fly over my face. "How are you, Izzy?"

My hands automatically find their way into my hair to push it out of my face and give it a little fluff. "Good. I didn't sleep very well last night."

Drew nods. "Neither did I."

He takes a bite of his muffin and slowly chews and my anxiety finally reaches its breaking point.

"Drew, are we going to talk about last night or are going to keep dancing around the topic?"

Drew's eyes widen and he swallows. "Yeah, that's why I invited you."

I lean back with my arms crossed, waiting for him to explain himself. The old me would ramble and try to take the blame for the situation.

Even if I did nothing wrong just to eliminate the problem faster.

Drew takes a shaky breath. "First off I'm sorry for how I acted last night."

I nod and wave my hand for him to continue. "The problem didn't have anything thing to-"

"Don't use the it's not you it's me bull crap on me. Tell me the truth," I snap interrupting him.

He glares at me. "I wasn't, just hear me out."

I blow out a breath and Drew continues. "I was saying that you didn't do anything wrong. You're my best friend and I thought I liked you."

Drew looks down and what he's saying finally sinks in. "But you don't see me as anything but a friend," I whisper aloud

I chuckle. "I'm such an idiot."

Drew grabs my hand across the table. "No, Izzy you're not an idiot. The reason I don't see you that way is because I'm..." his voice trails off.

I give his hand a gentle squeeze and he takes a shaky breath. "I am gay."

The weight of a thousand bricks lifts off my chest. "I never meant to lead you on Izzy, I swear," Drew says quickly.

I smile. "How long have you known?"

Drew lets go of my hand and leans back. "I'm not sure exactly."

I nod. "Does anyone else know?"

Drew shakes his head. "You're the first person I've come out to in a long time."

A look of confusion falls over my face. "What does that mean?"

"My junior year is when I started to realize I didn't see girls the way other guys my age did. I hid it from my friends.

"Then out of the blue, I get paired with a guy named Taylor for a school project."

Drew studies his hands instead of looking at me. "Somehow he figured out my secret after knowing me for two days."