15. Assit in a Human Disposal

Izzy

I wake up thirty minutes before my alarm. Which is not normal for me.
That's how excited I am for my first day at work.

It takes me a while to get ready. I had to do my hair, put on a little makeup, and choose the perfect outfit. In my mind, the perfect outfit is something that looks cute and it's not too uncomfortable to wear.

Katie does not agree with me.
Beauty is pain.

When I leave my parents are still getting ready.

———————————————————————

Once I arrive at work I notice there are barely any cars parked in the entire parking. My car is the only one parked in front of the boutique.

I hop out and walk around to the back of the building. Last night Phoebe emailed me the code to open the back door.

It takes me two tries then it finally opens. I guess I'm the first one here because all the lights are off.

I lay my purse on the break room table and head out to the front of the store.

In the distance, I hear a car door slam shut. I look out the front windows and see Drew digging through the back of his car.

He slams the back shut and rolls his eyes while pulling his phone out of his pocket. While he's on the phone he takes a tray of coffee out of his front seat and throws a coat over his shoulder.

He stomps toward the front door and unlocks it. I watch him throw it open.

"No, I understand," He tells the person on the phone. He rolls his eyes, "Yes, yes Phoebe I'll be fine."

He hangs up and that's when he finally notices me, but continues stomping toward the checkout counter. "How did you get in here?"

I fall in step behind him. "Phoebe emailed me the door code last night."

"Oh awesome," He says sarcastically.

I grit my teeth and force a smile. "I know I'm a little early, but I thought it was better than being late."

Before I continue taking I take a quick breath. "And I didn't know if I should clean or put things away so I didn't. If you want-"

"It's fine, just stop taking," Drew says forcefully, interrupting my rambling.

Not wanting to upset him anymore I simply watch him dig through papers.

About five minutes later he finally looks at me.
"So Iggy, Phoebe won't be here till noon, so I'm going to show you what to do."

Great, this is going to be so much fun, I think to myself.
I force a smile. "I can't wait to get started."

————————————————————————

I silently followed Drew around the store for an hour while he showed me different things just for him to shove me in the back to break down cardboard boxes.

Yeah, I almost called Katie to assist me in human disposal.

It's not the fact he stuck me in the back that pisses me off, it's how he acted when he was showing me how to run the store. He acted all stuck up and arrogant.

Suddenly his head pops in. "Hey Iggy, there's a lot of customers up front can you man the register?"

I keep a neutral face. "Yeah." Inside I have already strangled him twice.

Oh yeah, another thing that pisses me off is he can't seem to call me the right name. Even though I've told him five times.

At this point, I just gave up.

When I come to the register I realize there are at least ten people in line. Why did he wait till now to get me?

I've checked out everyone, but two people with no problems. On the second to last person, I accidentally scan something twice.

Then when I tried to fix it I added it four more times. Everything I try to do makes the problem worse.

I give the lady an apologetic smile. "I'm so sorry, but I need to get my manager."

The lady stares at her phone while she answers me, "That's fine."

I speed walk around the store to try and find Drew. Of course, he had to show me everything about to cash register so fast. I blame this on him.

After five minutes, I finally find him leaning against a shelf talking to two teenage girls.
Great, while I'm running myself silly, while I'm dealing with all these customers he's over here flirting with girls.

For the fortieth time today, I force a smile. "Excuse me, Drew, I need your help."

He gives me a blank look. "With what?"

Deep breath Izzy, deep breath, I tell myself. "The cash register."

"What's wrong?"

I sigh. "I can't delete an item."

One of the girls behind him snickers and I fight the urge to shoot her a glare. "You just hit the delete button," Drew tells me.

I look at the ceiling. "Can you please just help me?"

Drew sighs very loudly. "Yeah." He looks at the girls behind him. "Sorry, ladies enjoy the rest of your day."

He follows me to the register silently fixes the problem and checks out the rest of the customers.

Once they all leave he gives me a dead look.
"All you had to do was hit the delete button."

I run my hands over my skirt to flatten invisible wrinkles. "I'm sorry, I forgot."

He scoffs and my eyes shoot back up to his. "I'm sorry, but maybe if you took more time in showing me how to work the damn thing then maybe I wouldn't have forgotten."

He gives me an unreadable look and walks away. "Those boxes aren't going to break down themselves."

I groan; this is going to be one long day.

At noon Phoebe arrived and I spent the rest of the day shadowing her, which wasn't too bad.

Then at five, we all clocked out.

"Hey Izzy, text me your coffee order," Phoebe yells across the parking lot."

"Okay!"

Once I get in my car I let out a long breath. I survived my first day at work. Despite how the day went, I felt proud of myself.

I look in my mirror. "I've got this," I tell myself.

Then I pull out and head home.

Continues in the next chapter.