16. His Signature Dead Look

Izzy

"Iggy, I got your coffee," Drew yells.

I stand up from behind the checkout counter and I think I scared him, but he doesn't show it.

"Thank you," I say with a tight-lipped smile.

Phoebe comes out of her back room. "Izzy, I have an alteration appointment at ten and I want you to assist me."

I nod my head and she disappears in the back. Drew silently walks backward and slips into the back.

Rolling my eyes at his weird behavior, I take a sip of my coffee. As soon as it hits my tongue I grimace. That is not what I told him to order.

When he comes back out I work up the urge to ask him what he got me. "Hey, what's in this?"

He looks at me over a shelf with that same dead look. "Soy milk."

I internally gag. I hate soy milk, I wanted almond milk. How does someone mess that up?
Honestly, I wouldn't doubt he did it on purpose.

For some reason, he seems to hate everyone and everything. When he wasn't looking I watched him yesterday.

He gives customers the same dead looks.

Normally, I can talk to anyone and get to know them easily. It's something that has always come naturally to me. But with Drew, I can't seem to read him.

One minute he's laughing with Phoebe then he gives me a look that makes me want to crawl under a table.

————————————————————————

After I helped Phoebe with her alteration appointment I worked the cash register.
Luckily, I've been able to stay away from Drew.

Now that the store has slowed down Phoebe is having me help Drew fold clothes.
I'm internally dying at the thought.

Suddenly, a hand touches my shoulder. "Izzy, I want to tell you something," Phoebe says.

I nod my head for her to continue. "I'm sure Drew has been giving you a hard time."

She stares at me as if she trying to read my reaction. I keep my face neutral.

"Sometimes he can be a little... Stand-offish."

She glances down. "He's my nephew and he doesn't like to let people close."

"I'm telling you this because I've been watching you when you're around him."

I take a quick breath and Phoebe gives me a look that says, 'Let me finish taking."

"I'm sure you would love to snap back at Drew but are scared too because he's your boss.
Sort of."

We both laugh and Phoebe gives me a motherly look. "Izzy, I'm giving you permission to be as mean as you want."

I smile a real smile for the first time in two days. "Okay."

She claps, "Drew get out here and fold these clothes."

He walks over with his signature dead look. "You can lock up when you finish," Phoebe says as she leaves.

As we're folding clothes I let what Phoebe say sink in. She said to stand up for myself and say what's on my mind.

I take a deep breath. "You know that drink you got me this morning was nothing close to what I told you to get me."

Drew continues folding without looking at me. "I'm sorry."

Anger slowly works its way through me. I know he got me the wrong drink on purpose.