17. You Peeping Tom

Tyler

When I pull the shower curtain open I already feel pain in my arms.

After work today, Wyatt and I hit the gym. I might have hit the gym a little harder than usual. Wyatt walked on the treadmill and did light weights, while I went all out and bench pressed the most I have in a while.

Now I'm at home and struggling to take a shower from my actions at the gym. Ever since the break up with Izzy, pushing myself is the only thing that takes my mind off it.

Well, that and flirting with Olivia at work. But then afterward I felt like an asshole even though I'm doing nothing wrong.

———————————————————————

After I finish I walk out of the bathroom in pajama pants and dripping hair. When I walk down the hall I hear Katie taking on the phone.

I noticed her bedroom door cracked open. I stop and silently listen to see who she's talking to.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't eavesdrop, but I'm desperate to know if it's Izzy.

"But the whole thing is, is he hot to you now?"

At that moment I knew she was on the phone with Izzy.

I move to where I can see Katie through the crack in her door.

"Iz, that's not an answer," Katie says with a flip of her hair. She's on her bed with pictures all around her.

Every so often Katie will get the photos she takes developed and then cut and tape them all over her closet door.

Ugh, she's adding pictures from the beach. It's already hard enough to look at old pictures of Izzy and me, but now she's adding recent ones.

"Ooh, I need more details," Katie whines.

Katie's face morphs into a small smile from whatever Izzy responded with. "Awe I'm so proud."

I'm pretty sure Katie is talking to Izzy about a boy. A piece of my heart falls off at that realization.

"Yeah, I understand," Katie says while nodding her head.

"Work has been good, I yelled at a farm hand today. He thought it would be nice to put a saddle I was using away."

Katie rolls her eyes. "Yeah, that's what Wyatt said."

I move away from the wall, the wood creaks and Katie's eyes fly towards her door.
Our eyes lock and we stare at each other in silence.

"I'll call you back, Iz," Katie says as she hits a button on her phone.

I lean back to walk away, but Katie throws a stuffed duck at her door and it opens completely.

"What the hell Tyler? I can't believe you were eavesdropping on me!" Katie throws another stuffed animal at me. "I could have been getting dressed you peeping Tom!"

I hold my hands up so she doesn't throw anything else at me.

Think fast Tyler. There's not a whole lot you can say to make it seem like you weren't listening because you thought she was talking to Izzy.

An idea pops into my mind. "I wasn't peeping on you. I just got out of the shower and walked by your door and heard you on the phone."

I shrug my shoulders in hopes that it comes off nonchalant. "I was bored, and wanted to annoy you."

A look of anger passes across her face and she picks something off the ground and launches it at me.

I leap out of the way and a hardback book slams into the wall with a loud thunk. I glance over my shoulder to make sure it doesn't go through the wall.