25: You Sell Drugs

Two weeks later
Izzy

"Iggy, your phone has buzzed fifteen times, answer the damn thing," Drew growls.

I glance at my phone and my dad's name flashes. I send it straight to voicemail.

"It's just my dad," I say nonchalantly.

Drew gives me a concerned look. "Iggy, did you hit your head?"

I laugh. "No. My dad was supposed to visit this weekend and he bailed the last minute. Just like the last two times."

I give him a grim smile. "If he can't take two days out of his schedule to visit his only daughter then I'm not going to make time to answer his calls."

"Maybe he had a good reason to bail," Drew suggests.

I give him a look that would scare most children. "He's always done this."

"So are you going to ignore him forever?" Drew questions."

"I haven't gotten that far," I mumble.

My phone buzzes again and Drew lets out an angry huff. This time when I glance it's a text from Katie.

That bitch: Hey, Wyatt and I are going to Hollers tonight. Want to join?

Me: Yeah, I'd love to.

Third-wheeling with them was the last thing I wanted to do. But, I feel a little guilty about the thought of not going. Since the Fourth of July, I've kind of avoided Katie.

I know that sounds bad, but after the festival, I needed to take time and distance to understand my feelings.

Now I've concluded that whatever I felt at the lake wasn't real. It was me trying to relive old memories.

Obviously whatever was going on between Tyler and me was one-sided.

When I walked back and saw him dancing with another girl my heart broke all over again. And this time I couldn't blame it on Tyler.

I could only blame the heartbreak on myself. I'm the one who thought things could go back to what they were.

I'm better now. I think I'm completely over Tyler. I've let the past go and now I'm taking life one step at a time.

"What's wrong?" Drew asks with concern written all over his face.

"Katie wants me to go out with her and Wyatt."

Drew smiles and heat floods my stomach. "Don't feel like third wheeling?"

"Not really," I say with a smile.

Drew clears his throat, "You know, if you wanted I could go with you."

I stare at him, my eyes not once blinking.

Did he just voluntarily invite himself to do something with me?

"You know for moral support," he adds quickly.

My eyes finally remember how to blink. "That would be nice, but you don't have to."

Drew scratches the side of his arm. "I don't mind and it might be fun." He looks up at me with a cocky smirk. "Besides I'll get this famous Katie I've heard so much about."

I roll my eyes and text Katie.

Me: Is it okay if Drew comes?

That bitch: Hell yeah!!

Tonight is going to be very... interesting.

———

Red top or white and pink top? I think to myself.