Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Loki and I continue to learn magic and spend lots of time together with our mothers and some other Masters of Magic. We are learning quickly and have soon learned pretty much every spell in the realms, much to the chagrin and concern of the Masters. Frigga and Kathalia have been called to appear before the Mages Council to talk about our progress, skills, and the expectations for us. Both Frigga and Kathalia assure them that they have nothing to worry about, because what could Loki and I possibly do while under the ever so watchful eye of Odin?

"Make sure it stays that way Lady Kathalia and Your Majesty..." warns Bard the head of the Mages council, "it would be unfortunate if any type of imprisonment were to happen to either the Prince or Lady F/n...and I know it would not reflect kindly on the royal family."

"I understand Bard," Frigga says.

Recently Loki and I have taken our final examinations and await an official doctrine with our scores and our rankings of our skills and abilities; we are hoping that's why our mothers were summoned, and not because of what we did to the color of the water in the pond near the training grounds. Anyone who went in the purple water came out purple too; purple from head to toe. It was funny to see so many purple people at dinner that night. Loki and I play with some magic and other spells in the hall while we wait for our mothers. Before they leave the chambers, Bard stops them and addresses my mother.

"Lady Kathalia," Bard continues, "there is another matter of something regarding your daughter, and I have another opportunity I would like to discuss with you. I believe it is something that would be equally beneficial to her as well as Asgard. She is quite talented and gifted, and I only see those gifts getting stronger."

"As you wish Bard," Kathalia responds, "May we discuss that tomorrow, I know of two young people who are anxiously awaiting the news of their scores."

Kathalia and Frigga leave the council chambers and head down the hall to us as we wait for them.

"What was that about mom?" I ask my mom as she and Frigga approach us and smile as we stand up to meet them.

They love our friendship after having watched it develop since we were kids, and now as young adults they are even more proud of us and happy that we managed to stay friends. They knew that it would be a bond to keep forever, partly because of our empathic link but also Frigga knows that Loki could be difficult at times. She knows that Loki is not the easiest person to make friends with, or to be friends with and she is grateful that he and I have managed to remain so.

"Oh they just wanted to share the news with us about your examinations scores and rankings" she says coyly.

Loki tenses as we stand next to each other and reaches for my hand and grips it tightly. Looking down at our hands, I look up to him, just as he turns to me. He releases my hand and places his on my shoulders then stares intently into my eyes.

"Ok, F/n," he says and I can hear the nervousness in his voice, as he gently yet unintentionally shakes me, "no matter what happens, no matter our scores, we will still practice and invent new spells together, ok?"

"Loki!" I giggle, and look into his eyes. There is something in there that I can't quite place, "we are friends, and just because we are in these classes anymore doesn't mean we won't see each other or have time to create and practice spells."

"yes, but...."

"Come on Loki," I say and cut him off, "don't you want to know how we did? I want to know how much better I scored than you."

"Hey!" he says with somewhat feigned annoyance.

"Besides, then we can go celebrate" I say. He nods and we both turn to my mom and the queen with anticipation.