Chapter 36 - But Why Not?

What is wrong with me? Why don't I want to go in? I cannot face them right now...

Losing all of the courage I thought I had, I turn to leave and can hear Loki yell for me to come back. He bursts out of the door and begins to chase me. I have to get away from him before he teleports to me. Quickly I duck into an alcove and teleport back to my rooms. Casting a shield around my room, I drown out all sounds from both inside and outside; anyone who would knock on the door would feel a shock and it would be followed by a reverberating gong.

Waiting for a bit in my room, when I feel as though enough time has passed and that I am in the clear, I decide to go to the kitchens for a quick nibble of cake, I am sure it was left over from dinner. I missed dinner, and suddenly find myself starving. Not surprising at all, I run into Skarde, the head chef.

"Good evening Lady F/n, how are you and what brings you to the kitchens at this hour?" he asks, and kisses my hand.

"I am well and actually I was looking for cake, any chance there is some left over from dinner? How are you Skarde?" I ask and he says he's well, and leads me over to sit at the table in the kitchen.

He is the process of cleaning everything from the dinner as well as preparing the menu for tomorrow. He also got word that the King wants to have another ball soon so he and his mother are planning what they will serve.

"Thank you for the beautiful bouquet of flowers, but I must tell you..." I begin to tell him, "I am not looking to court anyone, so please do not be angry, I just do not feel as though I am ready." His face falls, and I continue.

"It's nothing about you, truly. I just want to figure some things out for myself first before I decide anything else, if that makes sense? But I do feel like we could at least start with being friends." He nods and smiles.

"I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't disappointed, but I understand." He says, and offers me a piece of chocolate cake and a glass of red wine.

He helps himself to some too, and we chat amicably and share a few laughs for a bit before Loki appears.

"Ingrid, are you here? Hello?" Loki intones, "oh Skarde, is your moth-...oh, F/n. ...." He looks at me awkwardly as if to say that I was the last person he was expecting to see here. He looks to the wine and cake and can tell that we have been sitting here for awhile.

"Good evening to you both, I hope that I am not interrupting your .....date?" Loki says with false sincerity.

Actually, I hope I am!

Loki!

Ah, I must have been interrupting something...is this why you went sprinting from me earlier? A cook? You are aware that I am a prince and your cook boyfriend works for me, correct?

Loki Don't start!

"Your Highness, no interruption at all. I am sorry my mother is in the hall working with Lady Kathalia on the seating for breakfast tomorrow." Skarde says nervously as he scrambles to his feet to bow. Loki nods curtly and leaves the room. It takes me a moment or two to realize exactly what he said.

"Oh SHIT! did you say my mom was in there too?" and Skarde nods.

"Damn!" I yell, "Thanks for the cake, wine and company... maybe we can continue our conversation some other time."

Grabbing my wrap and not waiting to see or hear his response, I dash through the doors to that lead to the great hall, through the pantry. I need to get to my mom before Loki does! I have no idea what he would say to her, or if he would say anything at all. But something slows me and I find that I am falling forward. I hit the floor with a thud and hope no one heard or saw me fall; my elbows feel bruised, and my leg feels like it too.