Chapter 6 - I Made It

Suddenly, I find myself laying on my back in a grassy field, gasping for my breath clutching a sword to my chest with my eyes closed. I don't want to open my eyes for fear of what I might see. For these next few moments, I am going to bask in not knowing and not feeling threatened. My cloak is torn, my body aches, but I have a sense of peace, sort of...

"Lady F/n..." I hear a voice and it seems distant, "Lady F/n, it's ok, you can open your eyes. You have finished, and are safe."

"I made it," I say, and feel my breathing return to normal, and some tears escape my eyes and begin to roll down my cheeks, "I made it... I did it...I'm done"

"Yes you did" the voice becomes clearer and I finally open my eyes to see Bard looming above me, "and you did exceptionally well. Talent like yours comes along once in a great while. Unmatched..."

He reaches down and helps me sit up. With a practiced wave of his hand, a goblet of water appears in my hand I drink it in one gulp, so he supplies me with another. Starting to feel a little bit better, I stand and realize where I am, or realize that I have no idea where I am.

"Bard?" I begin, "where am I?"

"It's the finishing zone for the final task" he says, "your mother will be along soon..."

I nod and just sit as he blathers on, I can't quite figure out was is happening and how I got here. The last thing I remember was slaying that horrible creature which had my death in its eyes – what was that thing? And how did I do that?

As Bard and I walk, he continues to talk and we meet up with the other mages. I shake their hands, but don't pay attention to what they are saying. I can't focus on anything right now, other than what I just went through.

"She's still in a little bit of shock, it will wear off soon" Bard tells the others, just as Kathalia appears out of thin air.

"OH my gods..." she exclaims.

She runs to my side and places her arms around me, but I am still in a catatonic state and don't respond. She touches the side of my face, but I continue to stare straight ahead.

"I am taking her home" Kathalia tells the others, and uses her magic to mend my cloak, and wrap me in a blanket.

"Kathalia, you have no idea what she did..." Bard says, "no one has ever done as well as she has in these tests."

"I do know what she did," she says and turns to him, while keeping her arms wrapped around me, "I did those same tests all those years ago, and so did...he, the missing one. We may not have done as well as she has, but we still did them nonetheless."

"Have you found him?" Asger asks, and Kathalia shakes her head.

"Not yet, but I know I am close to finding him", she says, just as they attempt to speak again, she continues, "gentlemen, I would like to get my daughter home so she can recuperate. See you at the ball...and we can discuss this further..."

With that, we both disappear in a white shimmer and end up back at the palace. She has managed to have us appear in a secluded area away from any people. We hasten to our residence, quickly get inside and head to my room. She places me on the bed, and I continue to stare while clutching the sword. My mom rushes to start a soothing bath, and she also sends for Asmund.

Asmund comes into the room and sees me sitting on my bed. He smiles, and when my mom comes into the room, he gives her a reassuring hug. He comes over to me and takes the sword from me and smiles reassuringly. He knows that I am I really not paying attention to him, but he still talks to me as if I would respond.

"Here my dear, allow me to take your sword," he prods gently, and I surrender it to him, without looking at him, "I will put this with the others to be re-presented back to you at the ball."