Chapter 10 - Trying Something New

A few days have passed since Loki and I were forced to spend time together when he was in the Healer's Ward. I have to admit that it has been nice having my best friend back, and I hope he feels the same. It's another beautiful day on Asgard, and as Sif and I finish breakfast with the guys. The Grand Hall is always decorated beautifully and today with the pastel colors in contrast with the gold it looks even more beautiful than usual. It's springtime which means flowers are in bloom, and the air smells clean and fresh. The sun feels warm on my face and I take a deep breath in and savor the fresh air. We leave the grand hall and head out to stables with the guys; we can't help but feel blessed living in such a beautiful realm.

Loki, the perfect gentleman that he always is with me offers me his arm and we walk with my hand on his elbow. We are not officially courting or anything, but we have been best friends for a very long time. People presume we are together since we spend a lot time with each other but a majority of it spent in sparring lessons and magic lessons; we share a love of reading so we have a lot to talk about. Both of us, having been born into families with mothers who are extremely gifted sorceresses catch on quickly to many spells and we have also invented a few of our own. Case in point, Loki still has one purple iris after I had retaliated on him for giving me bright red hair; which is slowly returning to my normal color.

He and I have always gotten along, well mostly. Our past is not without arguments and misunderstandings, and I will admit mostly due to Loki's jealousy. We were introduced by our mothers when were young and have been inseparable since. We share and empathic link which means that we can always feels each other's emotions and always will. It doesn't necessarily bind us to be married, but it makes it difficult for others to get closer with us. Many of those whom we have flirted with or flirted with us find that the link Loki and I share creates situations of envy for all parties. Our mothers both assure us that in time we will find the one we are to be with and they will understand our link. I secretly think that our mothers hope that he and I are the one for each other, but i haven't said anything to my mom or to Loki about it. 

We arrive at the stables and I drop my hand from Loki's arm, but I see him make a move to grab my hand but he stops then stands with his back straight.

"So, what are you lovely ladies up to today while Loki and I head to the other side of Asgard with the guys?" Thor asks.

Sif blushes slightly; she has always had a crush on Thor, and I suspect he feels the same towards her but neither have ever admitted it. It's difficult for them to justify a bond without having a link like Loki and I do.

"Uh well.... Uh..." Sif stammers and I giggle to myself

"We have so much planned, Thor that we cannot tell you," I say jokingly, "or we could but then we would have to beat you into secrecy..."

"Oh tell him, please..." Loki says and smirks. "Thor needs to be beaten, and I will help in any way I can."

"Brother!" Thor exclaims and Loki laughs.

"How about you love? What will you do today?" Loki asks me and holds my face in hands and steps closer to me almost as if he were to kiss me.

"Ummm Loki, ...." I stutter and reach up to remove his hands from my face.

Only then does he realize what he did, and turn a few shades of pink. Since I have returned from the Elite Guard training, Loki has been more possessive of me and my time. My mom says it's because he was worried that I might not return; and she is right. There always was a possibility that I might not make it through the full training, or that I might not even survive to live another day. I am grateful that I made it, and that we are closer than ever. He ignored me for the time before I left for training, and we had a pretty bad fight about it at the ball. .

"Apologies, Lady F/n..." He says and places his hands in his pocket.

"Actually I am going to be spending some time in the healer's ward to learn a few things from Eira" I say, "I want to see what it's like to do something other than spar and train to fight. I mean there has to be something else I can do, right?"

We laugh, but I can see that Loki has never really given anything thought to me not being next to him to fight.

What will I do without her by my side? We have only just gotten to where we fight so well side by side and can anticipate each other's moves. She's my best friend, and I would be lost without her even in the smallest amount of life. I need her by my side...always. But I don't know what to do.

" Loki? Are you ok?" I ask him and he nods.

"Yes... yes dear, I'm fine...Sorry just got lost in my thoughts for a moment." he says and mounts his horse, "have a good day..."

Sif and I wave to Thor and Loki as they ride off to some of the other villages of Asgard. Usually they visit and see if there is anything that the villagers need from the King and Queen, and then come home for revels with the other guys.

"Come on Sif, let's head back..." I say and I notice that she has a wistful look in her eyes.

We walk in silence until we get back to the palace. Sif heads off to her training, and I head to healer's ward. We make plans to walk back to the stables to meet the guys and instead of having revels in the palace, we want to go into the village and go to a tavern.

After spending the day in the healer's with Eira, I learn a lot and plan to return tomorrow and do some more with her and her team of healers. I enjoyed my time and it was interesting learning how to help people. Plus it gave me a chance to meet some other members of the guard troupe who had unfortunately come in to the ward for healing after getting injured.

Evening has fallen and Sif and I change into some gowns to meet the Princes and our friends at the stables to go to a tavern. Sif meets me outside of my residence, and we head off to meet the guys. Chatting and giggling we aren't entirely certain what our expectation are with how we are dressed and the response we would elicit from any of the guys; but it is just fun to get them to see us as women for a change. Then she falls silent and seems to be lost in her thoughts, like Loki was earlier.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I just kind of... well, I saw how Loki looked at you earlier and it got me to thinking..." Sif trails off.

Does Sif have feelings for Loki? Is she jealous for the interaction we had? Oh no, I better let her know that Loki and I are only friends, we only see each other as friends. We never really talked about more, we started to, but then I left for training and...

"Sif, do you-" but my question is unheard as a large explosion has rocked the part of palace we were in.

"F/N!!!" I hear Sif scream, just as I scream back to her as we are blasted apart.

"SIF!"

Scrambling to my feet, I look to see that Sif is a few meters away from me and I try to reach her, but suddenly there's another explosion. I feel pieces of the wall hit my body, and I fall through the floor. I sink into the pile of rubble that was once the beautiful palace. I can feel cuts on my arms, legs, and face; and I feel a terrible tearing and crushing sensation from my left side

"Help!, can anyone hear me?" I yell as best I can.

I wonder if Loki can feel me with the empathic link or telepathy. Here goes nothing...

Lo-

Is all I can think of before I feel something hit my head and sink into unconsciousness.