Chapter 5 - The Day has Come

It's been a few days since my mom told me about the training, and since I told Loki. He was not really happy, but told me he was then rushed away on courtly duty – or so he said. My mom thinks he is avoiding me because he can't deal with what could happen, and how he needs to adjust his life until I come back.

"Mom," I begin one morning as I begin to pack my things, "I leave tomorrow, and I haven't seen Loki since I told him of this, and I would like to say good-, I mean, see you when I get back, but he's not answering my telepathy."

My mom nods, and sits down on my bed facing me as I continue to pack.

"I mean, if he it wants it this way, then fine..." I say and close the lid of my trunk.

My mom gives me a hug, and then when she backs away from me, she speaks.

"Come on, let's go spend the day in the village," she gives me a hug and we smile, "I have managed to get us accommodations at the Inn so we have a nice quiet restful night before you leave."

My mom and I leave, and head out of the palace, and I take one last look around. This could be the last time I see my rooms, or any of these people.

I know that I am more than capable of completing the training, but there have been horror stories about what has happened to people. I might be permanently marred, and unable to continue as a warrior, what will I do then. Am I making the right decision?

My mom senses my rambling thoughts, and brings me back to the present moment, so we can enjoy our time together.

All too soon the day and night are over and it's time for me to leave. We head to the park in the center of the village, and when no one is around we teleport to a secret location in the woods. We bid each other farewell; my mom teleports back to the village, and I head off with guards and mages.

My mom arrives in the park and exhales while staring at the fountain. It was hard for her to let me leave, but she knows how much the opportunity means for me.

"she's going to be fine...." She mumbles to herself, and then closes her eyes for a moment of prayer and reflection.

"Lady Kathalia...." She hears someone yelling her name across the park, "there you are...."

She opens her eyes and sees that she is face to face with Loki. He gives her a hug and carefully looks around, then he makes eye contact with my mom and can see from the tears in her eyes that he is too late. But he won't accept that. It cannot be too late for him to wish his best friend well in her new endeavors.

"Could you tell me where F/n is?" he says, and removes a pendant from his pocket., "I would like to give her a gift before she heads off to train...It was a hard gift to decide what to get her, but I thought this might be the best thing for her, as it won't get in her way while she trains."

Kathalia looks at Loki and seems somewhat surprised at his obliviousness. She blinks and wipes her eyes before speaking.

"Loki....." she begins, and he starts to talk again.

"Knowing her she is saying her farewells and see you laters to every one in the village" he chuckles a nervous fake laugh, and Kathalia speaks over him, "everyone always loves it when she visits. It's hard to have time with her because the townspeople are always talking with her."

"Loki, Loki!" she yells, and he finally hears her and stops. He looks deeply into her eyes, and subtly shakes his head back and forth.

"No! no!" he says loud enough to get some looks, "I will not accept that she has left. She cannot have left without us saying good.... See you later"

"But Loki, you stopped talking to her, and spending any time with her...you basically took your friendship away and she was hurt." she says, and then continues gently, "missing time with her, is really your fault"

Loki begins to rant and pace and Kathalia sits calmly on a bench. She knows that what she said to Loki was not kind, but he is old enough to know that when he acts like a child, he needs to face the consequences. Loki eventually calms down, and after he sits and they talk about my leaving, and Loki's determination to stay right at this spot until I return. My mom tell him how ridiculous that is, since I would not return to the same spot. She tells him the little bit that she knows of my training, and he seems to feel a little better. They both stand up and head back to the palace. Kathalia has to work with Heimdall, and Loki is going to his room.

"Lady Kathalia," Loki begins, "please let me know if you need anything."

She nods, and accepts Loki's hug. Turning to watch the stars, she gets a pang when she realizes that she cannot even use the stars to check in on me while I train. She focuses on her duties tonight, and reminds herself that it will only be a few days or weeks- depending on how quickly I get through the training.

Oh this is going to be a long night without F/n to check in on. She stops and then gets an idea, there is another one... the missing one. I wonder where he is. Checking in on him will make me feel a little better since I will not be able to see F/n.

She shifts the domeand begins to search the sky.