Chapter 32 - Waiting For the Next Time

Taking a deep and steadying breath, I summon the courage to move forward. Rounding the corner I see Valdemar waiting for me in his formal black attire. He looks very handsome with his blond hair and deep brown eyes but I don't feel anything for him at the moment. All I feel right now is confusion. Over the years I have learned to have a "court mask", as Loki calls it, which means I plaster a smile on my face for the entire night and burying any feelings; I am a doll for the rest of the night. We enter the ball room, and the herald is about to announce us, when I ask him not too.

"Nonsense, my dear, let them all see us, let them be jealous of me with the most beautiful lady on my arm." He says and leans over and kisses my cheek, "as you were, my good sir" I nod to the herald and he sees that I am hesitant, but he knows it is his job.

"Lady f/n, and Sir Valdemar" the herald announces, and we walk in. Loki is standing with Thor and his parents and all turns to see us as we walk in.

"My dear, you look lovely. I adore that charming blush on your cheeks and that glorious smile; almost as if you are glowing." He whispers to me.

We reach the point of the carpet where we are to bow and curtsy to the royal family and do. I nod and look at Thor, Frigga, Odin, and as Loki and I lock eyes we both smile slightly. I cannot break his stare. Loki has the same glow on his cheeks.

Of all the people you agreed to attend the ball with, you had to pick that imbecile?

Loki...

You left me in the library...

I know, I'm sorry... I just didn't think I could face you

Why not love? You are beautiful tonight

Thank you, Your Highness

Valdemar and I walk over to the rest of the warriors and Sif, and I introduce him to everyone and their dates for the evening. Introductions are made, and we each grab some champagne. We chat and take time to get to know each other better, but I find my thoughts drifting away as I am a little bored with Valdemar and his conversations. He is trying so hard to fit in with the Warriors when he really has only sparred with us once. Maybe if I hadn't done anything with Loki this afternoon, I would feel differently...

We need to talk about this thing between us, f/n. I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since this afternoon in the library.

Loki please, not now.

When?

Later Loki...

But darling...

Ignoring his telepathy, I focus on my friends, and probably act too happy, like I am trying to hide something. Fandral and Sif come over to me to inquire as to what is wrong, but I assure them that everything is fine, but I just have a little headache. My answer does not satisfy them, but they both know me well enough to drop the subject for now and telling me that if I need to talk about anything, they are willing to listen. Smiling at them, we rejoin the group and begin to dance. I find myself looking at Loki far too often than usual at dances. It's probably because we aren't together in the same group like we usually are.

How can I tell them? How can I talk to anyone about my confusion? I wish my mom was here...

Valdemar is a good dancer and great companion for the night. We talk, laugh, drink, and have a good time, but something isn't quite right and I realize it's because I have not been able to spend enough time with Loki. Lost in my thoughts, and pretending to be listening to whatever Valdemar is prattling on about, I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder