Chapter 23 - I Know You Care, But...

The next morning I wake up when I hear a gentle knock on a door. It startles me and I immediately jump from bed and take a defensive stance. When I realize where I am, and hear a chuckle, I see Loki moving to sit up in his bed.

"Love, that's what Iona and Tove do in the morning to wake me." He says lightly, "my tea and breakfast have been delivered. Or for this morning, our tea and breakfast has been delivered."

Nodding slowly I realize that I am not used to having someone do that. I reach over and touch my side realizing that I moved too quickly.

"Umm, is it ok for me to open the door and get it? I don't want them to see me here, or have any issues with yours or my reputation." I say. He laughs.

"It's fine my dear, besides they saw you here last night..." he reminds me, "and they are sworn to silence about anything that happens in my chambers."

What does he mean, what happens in his chambers? Does he wake with someone often?

"And to answer that question... no, dear" he says, "I do not wake with someone else. I was trying to reassure you that you are safe, and that your whereabouts overnight are known only to us"

Opening the doors to the sitting room, I see that the ladies have set up food and drinks at a table on the terrace and make a move to head over there and help myself. Loki moves over and shuts the doors and pins me up against them. He is so close to me, I can almost feel his heart beating.

"Loki, what are you doing?" I ask.

He just looks into my eyes, and raises his hand to the side of my face.

"Your Highness. Stop... Please!" I say more forcefully and Loki seems to snap back to the present moment.

"I'm so sorry. Sometimes, I just ... get lost in your ...eyes, and I cannot help but be a little...excited when I see you in my chambers. " he smiles and backs away. "Please get dressed and I shall meet you on the terrace for breakfast."

"Loki, I would like to go back to my rooms."

"Go shower and get ready, then we can discuss the plans for you today..."

I give him a quizzical look, and decide that right now arguing with him is futile. But I know that all these feelings I have been suppressing are going to bubble to the surface. Eventually I join Loki on the terrace, and sit for tea and breakfast. We sit and chat amicably for a bit and then are interrupted by a knock at the door. Frigga and my mom come in and join us. It feels like it has been so long since I saw my mother, so when we hug it feels like I don't want to let go.

"How are you feeling my dear?" both Frigga and my mom ask.

Loki steps back a bit, and I chat with our moms for a bit. After a while, Loki decides that I need to rest. I stand and gather my things to leave with my mom.

"Where are you going?" Loki asks me.

"I am going back to my room to rest, you just said that I need to rest...so..." I trail off.

"Don't be silly, " he places his hands on the small of my back and guides me back to his room. "You will rest here..."

"No, I am going back to my rooms..." I say.

Kathalia and Frigga excuse themselves and are off to get started on their day. They both recognize that a fight is brewing between Loki and I, and based on past experience neither of them want to be anywhere near the vicinity. Loki and I argue for a bit, but given that he is much stronger than I am, he picks me up and carries me to his bed again.

I am honestly getting tired of him carrying me and putting me on his bed.

"You will rest here, and if you are not sleeping in the next five minutes, I will have no choice but to give you a draught."