Chapter 44 - So Much To Say

I nod and he leads me to the dance floor. We have to dance slightly backwards because of my arm, but Loki still does it perfectly. Effortlessly yet awkwardly because of my arm, we move across the floor, even though every muscle in my body aches, and is screaming for me to go back to bed, I finish the dance, as the rest of the court joins. Soon Loki and I are surrounded by Sif, Fandral, and Hogan as well as their respective dates.

"Oh it's so good to see you..." Sif says and hugs me, "I saw you when you had just gotten some medical attention, you were asleep, and then I was afraid to come see you....because I ...I couldn't bear to see you that way," she stammers, and stops with tears forming in her eyes.

Taking my left hand and placing it on her temples, so she can feel my telepathy, I tell her that everything is fine, and that Loki, and our mothers have been caring for me. Once I pull my hand away her eyes refocus.

"Wow, I didn't know you could do that..."she says,

"Since you do not possess the exact powers as she and I do, the physical contact is necessary...she can speak with you that way, but you cannot speak with her that way. Unless you would like to learn sometime..." Loki explains, and before we can continue our conversation a voice booms across the hall and is directed at me.

"HOW DARE YOU!!" Brynjar comes bounding over to me and Loki moves to push me behind him.

He has anger in his eyes, and sways drunkenly on his feet; he has been drinking, and is being followed by whom can only be assumed is his wife. She is begging with him to stop and not to embarrass the family.

"How dare you show up here, at this ball after what happened. He can't come to the ball, he can't come to anything ever again, you know why? Because he is dead...my brother is dead... because of you...and you" he points to Loki and me which draws gasps from the crowd.

Fandral and Hogan have taken a defensive stance as well. Thor is making his way over to us but he is a bit drunk and might not be of much use, Odin and Frigga are prepared to have him thrown out.

"Get ahold of yourself my good man..." Fandral says as he pulls Brynjar to his feet.

"My brother is dead, because of you!" he points to me and I feel tears forming in my eyes.

"Was this all a rouse, a plan to get the attention of a prince? Well consider it a success..." he continues. "Don't you have anything to say for yourself? You could at least apologize for the fact that he is dead...because of you. I do not even know what you guys did, I never got to find out from him, if he had fun, or ....."

"She cannot speak you idiot, in case you haven't noticed her neck is bruised because she was almost strangled..." Loki begins and I tug on his arm and shake my head.

Please Loki stop, do not speak about what happened to me anymore...not here, please no one needs to know.

Loki nods just as Brynjar drops to his knees and cries in earnest at the loss of his brother. Lowering myself to his level, I place my hand on his face and show him what happened to Marek, and to me. He sobs softly, and then looks to me with a tear-stained face.

Brynjar, I really enjoyed my evening with Marek and I had hoped to be at the very least a friend to him. Please let me know if I can do anything to help you through this difficult time.

Brynjar clears his throat, and rises to his feet, just as Loki pulls me to mine. Loki signals for some guards to grab to Brynjar.

"Lady F/n, I am sorry...I appreciate your graciousness." Brynjar whispers and is escorted from the hall.

"Guards, take this man out of here, and take him to the healer's ward where can recover from his overindulgence; he is not to be released until I have spoken with him." Loki commands, and people already begin to feel sorry for Brynjar, not only for the loss of his brother, but for the impending conversation Loki will be holding with him. His wife comes over and apologies to both of us and thanks him for being understanding of the situation.