Chapter 43 - Feeling Safe At Last

"I had stopped by to see if you wanted to go to dinner but your mother said that you were out walking and haven't been feeling well lately." He says and eyes that Loki and my arms are still linked; he continues, "Though I hadn't realized you were out walking with someone else..."

"What happened to you? Your arm ...and your neck....what?" he stammers, and I wave my mom to come over.

Mom, can you help me and tell him?

She nods.

"Valdemar," she begins, "have you heard of the attack in the village a few nights ago?"

"I have, Lord Marek was killed and female was badly injured..." he says and still watches as Loki uses his free hand to play with the fingers of my hand that rest on his arm.

"You Dolt!" Loki begins, and I shake my head fervently at him, silently begging him to be quiet.

"Valdemar, the female that was injured was ...f/n..." my mom says, and the realization of what she just said hits him and he sags against the wall.

"Her injuries were and some still are substantial, and..." she continues, "before I continue, let's step inside the sitting room for some privacy and some tea."

"Actually Lady Kathalia," Loki says, "I am going to see Odin and if there is any update on the investigation as well as attend to a few other things. I will be back in a few hours, do either of you need anything?"

I shake my head and hug Loki, and as I do he gives Valdemar a look that rubs in the fact that I am hugging Loki and not him. Loki leaves and the rest of us step inside.

"So are you going to talk now since he's gone?" he says with anger in every word. "Why do you let him control you?"

I look over to my mom and she nods knowing that I need her to continue.

"Valdemar, my boy, her injuries included a broken nose, black eye, broken arm, numerous broken ribs, as well as bruising on her lower body, thighs, and neck. She was held up by her neck ..." she moves my head to show him the deep purple marks, "and she is not able to speak yet. So no, she will not be speaking now that the prince has left. We do not know when she will be speaking again. And if you truly knew my daughter, you would know that no one controls her."

Valdemar's face is contorted in confusion and disgust, finally it sinks in and he looks to me with sympathy as well as trying to find words to apologize.

"Lady F/n, I am so sorry, I .... I didn't know.." he begins, "I certainly wouldn't have spoken to you that way, I shouldn't have spoken to you that way anyway...I'm truly sorry. Though disappointed that I know you were on a date with another man, and now spending so much time with the Prince."

The three of us continue to talk a bit more, until there is a knock at the door and Loki has returned. Valdemar takes this as his cue to leave, but before he is gone he turns to me.

"Lady F/n once again, I beg your forgiveness for my actions and words, and I do hope to see you at the ball tomorrow, and I hope you save a dance for me. Please do not hesitate to call on me should you need something." He says, and then leaves the room.

Loki goes to speak, probably to tell him that I won't need anything from him but my mother gives him a scolding look and he keeps quiet.

"Should we try to heal that lovely voice of yours?" Loki says with a smile. Shaking my head no causes both Loki and my mom to look at me funny.

My ribs, and my legs, please.

Are you sure, my dear?

Yes.