Chapter 27 - Nothing But Trouble

"Well, apparently at the ball a few nights ago, the one I couldn't attend, you.." I say and point to Loki," were speaking with Honora, and left her suddenly. She seems to think that you left her to attend to me. She stated that you just dashed away from her without any explanation."

Loki listens intently but does not show any emotion in his face as he listens to my story. My mom looks shocked and disgusted and hands me some water. She moves and touches my swollen and purple eye and I flinch. It has already swollen shut.

"That does not explain your eye dear..."she says and I continue.

"She is adamant that you left her to see me, and when she heard that I was in the healer's ward today, she came in under the guise that she was not feeling well. When I bent over to assist with the examination she hit me with the water pitcher."

Loki's hand flies to his face in shock.

"She said that during the evening and in your many conversations with her that night, you had agreed with her when she asked about being the first to dance with you at your birthday celebration."

Loki looks down and embarrassed.

"I guess you also had breakfast together yesterday morning or the day before, It's hard to remember exactly all the times that she said you and she have spent together lately..."

"Is this true?" my mom asks, "did you promise to dance with Honora, and then chose F/n? As well as spend this time with her? "

"Evidently you also danced with her numerous times throughout that evening, when you had told me that there was no one there for you to dance with."

Loki shakes his head and plays with his hands as he looks down. He is fidgeting with his hands, and can't look at either of us. He clears his throat and then speaks.

"Please understand, that if I agreed to such nonsense, I do not recall the conversation." He says, and rises slowly. "And I did not dance with her at all that evening. It is true that I spoke with her once, but did not dance with her at all. If you recall, I spent time with you in the ward, at the bench, and then I returned to you when I saw your mother dash away."

He walks over to me and pulls me to my feet. Gently he places his hands on my face and looks into my eyes. I can feel the roughness of his hands due to his various injuries from the previous evening.

"And why would I agree to such a thing when it has been tradition for us to dance first...truly, I have not been spending anytime with her. The last time I saw her was when she was with the group of bubble heads following us to the sparring arena when you and Sif skipped practice that day. "

He continues to ramble on and my mom has a disgusted look on her face. Reaching up I remove his hands from my face, but he does not let me remove my hands from his.

"Loki, I need you to leave..." I ask calmly and he looks upset while continuing to hold my hands.

His eyes widen at my request, and I leave the room to attend to my injury. Once inside my room, I use some magic to clean it and straighten it up after Loki having slept here. In my bathroom, I clean my face, and use some of the healing balms that I have made over the past few months. Changing into a soft comfortable, purple dress and some socks, I move to sit on my terrace just as my mom comes in and pulls me to a hug.

"I'm sorry" she says

"For what?" I ask her

"For pushing you to allow Loki to stay with you last night," She says, "I know you wanted to rest and relax...but he needed care, compassion-he needed you.. I just know how much you and Loki need each other and will make each other happy. And I am sorry that Honora hit you, it's not fair"