Chapter 17: The Curses

Y/n pov

"Oi! Y/n!" I heard someone yell down the hall. I turned around and saw Cedric jogging down the hall to me.

"Oh hey, ced," I said.

"Dad sent you some sweets and stuff. He also wanted to make sure you're ok. He and Mum kept fussing over you getting hit by that curse."

"Oh tell them I said thank you and I'm feeling fine now," I said back

"Where you of to"

"Dark arts"

"I'll walk with you. My class is a little past there

"Alright"

"Moddys uh...a bit tough"

"Whatcha mean"

He opened his mouth to speak before fumbling with what he wanted to say.

"He uses spells he shouldn't so...uh if you wanna talk about class or well anything for that matter you know where to find me or just letter."

I slowed down a bit.

"What do you mean?" I asked quietly

"You'll see. Uh... sit next to Harry. He helps you with panic attacks right?"

"You think I might have a panic attack?" I asked catching up to him.

"Possibly. I mean I hope not but it depends"

"Oh Merlin" I whispered. He stopped and I stopped next to him.

"Just be prepared. Like I said he's really intense. I don't want you hurt in any way. I'll check in on you after class. I'll bring extra sweets"

"OK thanks"

He nodded a bit before pulling me into a hug

"Don't be super nervous. I think he can sense it. Like an animal" he said. I laughed a little.

"Thanks for the warning"

"Of course." He whispered before kissing the top of my head and heading off to class.

I found Harry Ron and Hermione in the hallway walking toward class. I ran over to them and wrapped my arm around Harry's shoulder. He jumped a little and turned toward me.

"Y/n!" He said elbowing my side. I grabbed onto my side and hissed in pain.

"Ow!" I said

"You scared me!"

"You didn't need to elbow me that hard!" He shook his head a little

"You ready for dark arts" Hermione asked.

"Well Uh about that," I said slowly. "Cedric came up to me a little while ago and warned me," I said quietly

"About what," Harry asked concerned.

"Moody. Cedric thinks that I may have a panic attack in his class today" I said looking away

"Sit by me," Harry said quickly "If you have a panic attack I'll help you ok?"

"Yeah"

We got into the classroom and I sat next to Harry in the aisle with Ron on his other side. Hermione was at the desk next to us. Then Professor Moody started talking.

"Alastor moody," he says writing his name on the board. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defense of the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me end of story the end goodbye any questions?" He said quickly before starting again. "When it comes to the dark arts I believe in the practical approach. But first which one can tell me how many unforgivable there are." As soon as he said that I knew exactly what Cedric was talking about. I took a deep shaky breath as I saw Hermiones' hand go up. He pointed to her

"Three sir" she said

"And they are so named..."

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them..."

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now the ministry says you are too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!" He said cutting off Hermione in the process. I looked over at Seamus who was talking with Dean. He whispered something to Dean making Moody turn around and throw chalk his way. I held in a gasp while Seamus's eyes went wide.

"So which curse should we see first," Moody said moving on. My chest tightened a little bit and Harry looked over. He moved his leg a little closer to mine and rested his knee on mine.

"Nothing is going to happen to you" he whispered. I saw Moody look over at us but ignored it.

"Weasley!" He said. Ron sat much taller out of fear.

"Yes..." Ron said quietly

"Give us a curse," Moody said

"Well my dad told me about one...the imperious curse"

"Ah yes. Your father would know all about that. Gave the mind some grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why" Moody said before grabbing a jar with a spider in it and taking the spider out. Her put it on the desk and held his wand out to it. He said the curse and lifted the spider. He started flying it around the class.

"What a little beauty," he said putting it on people's desks. "Don't worry she's completely harmless." He moved it into Ron. "Unless she bites you. It's lethal." He said as Ron's face turned to pure fear. Draco laughed behind me and the spider flew over my head. I grabbed Harry's arm out of instinct. He looked over at me.

"What are you laughing at?" Moody asked. While sitting holding onto Harry I looked back at Draco who had the spider on his head. He was freaking out and trying to get it off. I smiled a little before Moody started again.

"Talented isn't she," he said. "What should I have her do next?" He asked before sending it towards the window. "Jump out the window. Drown herself" he said putting her over water. My grip tightened on Harry's arm. He took his other arm and held my hand that was on him.

" Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars?" He looked around the room " Another.. another.. Come on come on." Then his eyes landed on Neville and I felt my eyes widen. "Longbottom is it? Up."

"No no no" I whispered. I think Harry realized it too because he held my hand tighter.

"I'm right here" he whispered. I nodded a little.

"Professor Sprout told me you have an aptitude for herbology"

"There the uh cruciatus curse," Neville said quietly.

"Correct! Come come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse" he pointed his wand at the spider and said the curse. I saw the spider start to feel the pain and wither around. My grip tightened even more and I saw Harry wince a little before I put my head on his shoulder. He moved his and to my upper arm and rubbed it a little. I felt small tears going down my cheeks as the memories from the quidditch match flashed through my mind.

"Stop can't you see its bothering him!" Hermione yelled to Moody. I looked up slowly and saw Moody send Neville back to his seat and walk over to Hermione.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse Mrs granger"

She looked over at me and Harry before shaking her head. Moody turned around towards his desk.

"Avadra kadrva," he said loudly making me jump as the spider disintegrated. As he said the words I saw Lily and James. I took a deep breath before slowly letting go of Harry to wipe the tears from my face. I saw him take his other hand and rub over the spot I held onto his arm subtlety.

"The killing curse. Only two people are known to survive it and their sitting in this very room. " Moody said looking over at me and Harry. I looked down at the table to hide my tear-stained cheeks. He took another swig of his drink before walking back to his desk.