His Mate

Belle's POV

I can't believe I'm doing this. Things had been going so well the last couple of months. I was finally healing from when Edward had left but then I had to go and stupidly jump off the cliff. If I hadn't then Alice wouldn't have had that stupid vision and then we wouldn't be on our way to Italy to save Edward from stupidly trying to get himself killed by the Volturi. I still can't believe that I let Alice convince me to come with her.

When we got to Volterra and I managed to push Edward out of the sunlight, he kept hugging me and trying to kiss me. I didn't feel for Edward what I used to feel for him. But that was something that I would have to deal with later. We were soon joined by two vampires that were wearing pitch black cloaks, encouraging us to join them saying that Aro was waiting for us. Edward tried to get me to go and enjoy the festival but one of the others vetoed that quickly.

"Miss Swan.." The taller one said offering me his hand.

I took his hand and let him lead me down a set of stairs and through a tunnel. There was something about him. It was almost like how Jake had described imprinting. I hadn't felt anything like this the entire time that I'd been with Edward. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, I looked at him. "Thank you..." I trailed off realizing that I didn't know his name.

"Alec." He said, giving me a small smile.

I smiled back. "Thank you Alec." I said.

Alec led us through a set of double doors into what looked like a throne room. Alec led me to the center of the room with Edward and Alice behind us. "Master." Alec said, bowing.

"Thank you Alec." The one in the middle said. Alec walked off to the side of the room and stood next to a short girl with blond hair. The one that had just been talking stood up and stepped toward us. "Edward this is wonderful! Belle is alive!" He said. "Belle, welcome. My name is Aro." He said. "These are my brothers, Marcus and Caius." Aro said.

I smiled and nodded at them. "You have a lovely home. I love old architecture." I said quietly.

"Thank you Belle. It's good to see you alive. Edward was under the impression that you had...died." Aro said.

I glared over at Edward. "Edward is under a quite a few misconceptions." I said, turning my attention back to Aro. I heard Alec and the girl beside him chuckle.

"Hmm...so it seems." Marcus said.

"There's still the punishment." Caius said.

Aro put a finger under his chin and he looked deep in thought. "Yes, there is that." Aro said. "Belle, do you know our laws?" Aro asked me. I nodded. "Good. Therefore a decision needs to be made." Aro said.

"I won't let you hurt her." Edward blurted out. Aro snapped his head in Edward's direction.

I heard a growl coming over from where Alec stood. "Aro?" I asked, causing Aro to turn his attention back to me.

"Please..." Aro said.

"Forgive me for being so blunt, but Edward believes that he and I are mates. From my understanding about mates, if that were the case he wouldn't be able to be away from me for too long is that correct?" I asked him.

Aro nodded. "Do you not believe yourself to be Edward's mate?" Aro asked me.

I shook my head. "No. In fact, I believe that during that time that Edward and I were together...I believe that he was dazzling me." I said.

I heard another growl coming from Alec's direction. Aro looked at Edward for a moment before he turned and looked at Alec. Alec nodded. Aro turned back to me. "That is a heavy accusation." Aro said.