Part 14 : Healing

Life is a bed of roses!

The statement itself seems so deceiving. What would you assume by a bed of roses?

The soft alluring petals?

Or the painful pricking thorns?

Or may be life was a balance between the two of them! Life hurts you with the thorns and heals you with the touch of its soothing petals. But what kind of apology would be enough for the healing of a child who was thrown into the abyss of darkness which didn't only behold the sharpest thorns but also had corroded the soft petals.

Arnav leaned onto the wall behind the bed, closing his eyes as the thoughts raced in his mind. His heart was still palpitating. He was in half lying position, holding Ayaansh, who had slept with his whole weight on Arnav. He could still feel the shivers in his brother's body. The physical pain could be seen, Arnav wondered about the emotional trauma the child had been enduring. The thought made him tighten his grip around his little brother.

There were wounds that would never show up on the body but were deeper and more hurtful than anything that bled!

Love and acceptance is the only healing Ayaansh needed. Arnav knew the words wouldn't be enough. Actions will be needed to reassure Ayaansh of his importance in their life.

After Aniket had entered his life, Arnav had learnt the underlying meaning of healing. Aniket always said he owed his life to him but the truth was Arnav owed his life to Aniket. He would have been lost in his own life if not for Aniket. His brother made him fight back with life. It was Aniket's innocent love that brought him back to the light.

"Tere paas kahan se aaya?"

"Bas aa gya, aap khao na."

Arnav glared at a little Aniket who stood stubborn. Aniket held Arnav's hand when he got up to leave.

"Aapne teen din se kuch nhi khaya, Bhaiya, please kha lo."

"Yeh tu khud kha le. Mai kha loonga apna."

"Mujhe pata hai woh log aapko khana nhi de rhe. Kahan se khaoge aap?"

Arnav looked away. He didnt want to say he was used to it. Aniket came closer. "Kha lijiye na, Bhaiya."

Arnav looked at him. He was tugging at his heartstrings by calling him Bhaiya. "Tumne khaya?"

Aniket nodded his head and handed him the torn pieces of bread he had carried with him. That was all he could manage. Arnav took them in his hands and forwarded the first piece to Aniket.

Aniket stopped him. "Maine kha liya. Aap kha lo."

"Kitna sa khana dete hai yeh log. Thoda aur kha le."

Aniket shook his head and bent Arnav's forwarded hands to his own mouth. "Aap khao pehle, phir mai khaunga."

Arnav's heart melted seeing those innocent eyes. He had the first bite and forwarded the next one to Aniket. Aniket had it.

After finishing up, Aniket pulled out a tube of ointment from his pocket and kept in Arnav's hands. Arnav looked at him questioningly.

"Aapke haatho par aur peeth par Jo belt ki chot hai uss par laga lena. Jaldi thik ho jayega." Aniket mumbled slowly.

Arnav averted hai gaze. It was of no use. He would end up getting fresh scars before the ointment healed the old ones. People say time healed everything. They were so wrong! Time just made you learn to survive with your scars. There was nothing like healing.