Part 30 : The epiphany

Ayaansh entered Arnav's room and walked up to him. It was almost eleven hours and Arnav had still not gained consciousness. His heart was sinking more and more with each passing moment. The stillness of the time was scaring him beyond his strength.

One of the wires attached all around pricked Ayaansh's hands when he reached for Arnav's hands making him hiss. His eyes filled up. Those wires were pricking all over his brother's body. It must be hurting awfully!

"Kyun aap mere aage aa gye, Bhaiya? Kyun meri vajah se chot khayi aapne? Itna pyaar karte ho aap mujhse?" He brought Arnav's hands to his cheeks.

The hands that were unbearably beautiful. The hands that held on to him when he himself wanted to let go of everything else.

"Maine kabhi aapse kuch nhi maanga, Bhaiya. Kabhi maangna hi nhi pada. Aapne bina bole hi meri saari ichcha puri kar di. Par aaj mai maang rha hoon, please aankhein khol do." His tears rolled down and drenched Arnav's hands. "Mai nhi reh sakta aapke bina. Hum me se koi nhi reh sakta. Dekho sab ro rhe hai. Aapka bachcha bhi ro rha hai, woh sirf aapse hi chup hoga... Please uth jao aap.."

It was all the love that he wanted to give, but couldn't that was flowing from his eyes. All that unspent love gathered up in the corner of his eyes, the lump in his throat, and in that hollow part of his chest. Grief was just love, indeed, with no place to be hidden!

"I love you, Bhaiya. Aap mere liye sab kuch ho. Agar aapko kuch ho gya toh..." Ayaansh sobbed out.

In that moment it just clicked Ayaansh. He realised how far they've come and he remembered all the times when he had thought his life was a mess that he would never recover from. And then Arnav happened to him! Arnav had entered the most damaged parts of his soul and showed him how it still shone like gold!

When he felt a hand on his shoulders, he turned and hugged Aniket's midriff. "Bhaiya aankhein kyun nhi khol rhe, Bhaiyu? Dekho na aap woh sun hi nhi rhe..."

Aniket looked at Arnav's sleeping figure with tear glazed eyes. His brother had been right all along! Now he knew the damage he had done to him! Arnav was punishing him in the worst possible way!

Suddenly Ayaansh felt like Arnav's finger moved a little and he looked up. He looked at Arnav who was lying still and shut his eyes. All the world had dropped dead!

Again, he felt a squeeze on his hands and lifted up his eyes to see Arnav blinking at him. Everything was revived!

"Bhaiya.."

Aniket dimmed the light amd pressed the emergency button quickly.

Arnav groggily opened his eyes and saw his family staring at him with tears in their eyes. He saw Aryan crying and tensed. He wanted to reach for him and tried to sit.

"Bas ek second, Bhai..." Rishaan objected and checked his vitals and other things. Once he was satisfied, he pulled off a few wires and oxygen mask from Arnav and turned to the family with a smile.

"Everything looks good. His vitals are stable and everything is under control. Just make sure he doesn't starin himself and let him rest." Rishaan said and walked out to give privacy to them.

Aniket helped Arnav sit and Aryan rushed to hug him as soon as Arnav was up. He buried his face in his chest and cried. Arnav's stitches were killing him but his arms got wrapped around his child on its own. He swallowed the pain and let Aryan take comfort. He knew how much Aryan was attached to him. His eyes travelled towards Ayaansh and it came back to him!

"Ayu," Arnav called out in a hoarse voice and extended his other hand.

Ayaansh immediately took it and sat beside him. "Bhaiya.." He was trying very hard not to cry.