Part 19 : Changed dynamics

Aashika cried inconsolably. They were sitting in Rishaan's cabin. The reports had just come. Rishaan had explained them about the whole situation. Atharva didn't have much time left. His organs were slowing down, not responding to any kind of medication. The end was inevitable.

Arnav took Ashi in his arms as soon as Rishaan walked out to give them some privacy.

"Sab meri galti hai, Arnav. Papa keh rhe the unhe thik nhi lag rha. Maine nhi suni unki. Woh kal se mujhe bol rhe the, Arnav, mai kaise nhi samajh payi..."

"It's not your fault, Ashi. The doctors had assured us he had only fainted because of stress. You aren't a doctor that you could assess the situation any better." Arnav cupped Ashi's face. "Abhi yeh waqt inn sab baaton ka nhi hai, aashi. Tum kamzor nhi pad sakti. Chachu needs to see his strong and smiling daughter, Ashi."

Aashika held him and cried her heart out. Nothing could prepare a person for a loss like that. Her father had been referring to everything as his last since yesterday. She had been very upset with him and he had spent whole evening pacifying her. Both Arnav and Aashika could see something was off. Atharva's smile was not radiating happiness, instead it reflected sadness. Arnav had even mentioned postponing the engagement but Atharva had gotten furious for even bringing that up. They thought he would be convinced after engagement, never in their life had they expected such a thing to happen.

Arnav and Aashika came out to see Aniket waiting for them. He looked up at them in hope. Aashika walked past him. She didn't have it in her to voice out the news. Arnav came to him and told him everything. His voice was full of remorse.

Aniket squeezed his hands. "Ashi ko sambhalna hoga, Bhaiya!"

Arnav nodded. He was feeling as guilty as Ashi. Both of them had trusted doctors blindly and called Atharva's intuition baseless. And in the end he was the one paying price. Arnav wished he could do something but some things were beyond human's might and life was one of them.

Atharva looked up groggily when Arnav and Aashika entered the room. He had to put a great deal of effort to pull up his body. He knew his body was no longer supporting him. Their numb faces, trembling hands and red eyes were just confirming what he had already known. He tried to smile at them.

Aashika gulped back her tears and sat beside Atharva, holding his hands. "Aisa koi karta hai kya, papa? Kitna dara diya...."

"Kitna waqt bacha hai, beta?" Atharva asked tiredly. He knew he didn't have much time but he wanted to know how much.

Aashika's tears spilled over helplessly. "Yeh aap kya keh rhe...."

"Teri aankhein sach bayaan kar rhi hai, bachcha." Atharva wiped her tears gently. "Aaj tak jhooth bol payi hai tu mujhse?"

Aashika broke down. "I'm sorry, papa. I'm so sorry..."

"Na bachcha, teri kya galti hai isme?" Atharva held her to his chest. "Bhagwan naseeb me jitna waqt deta hai utna hi milta hai, uske aage humari nhi chal sakti."

Aashika held onto him and cried. She loved her father with her whole heart. She wasn't ready to let go of him. She would never be!

Atharva pulled back and made her look up. "Rona nhi, bachcha. Tere aansu maut se jyada dukh dete hai mujhe."

A fresh set of tears rolled down Aashika's face. Atharva looked up at Arnav who was standing a little far and gestured him to come. Arnav came and sat beside him. He could see how Atharva was trying to hold on.

"Mai jaanta hoon tum Ashi ko khush rakhoge, Arnav." Atharva's eyes moistened. "Jaanta hoon she will not want for anything as long as you're with him."

"Ashi ka apni jaan se bhi jyaada khayal rakhunga, Chachu." Arnav said gently.