Chapter Thirty-One - Y/N/Tomura

"The beauty of light owes its existence to the dark."

-Brene Brown

I was shoved out of the way, but I regained my footing, swiping my blade in the direction of the push. My blade cut fabric as one of the Class 1-A kids narrowly dodged, covering Hawks completely. I didn't even need to dip into his head once I saw him. The beak was a dead giveaway.

"Stupid kid." I muttered. "Get out of here."

I don't kill kids. I never have and never will. I've had every opportunity. With my quirk, I could have easily broken the 1-A kids' necks without even moving every time we encountered them. I just refuse. Touya, on the other hand, didn't seem to give a shit. Small bursts of his flames were already building on his palms as Fumikage Tokoyami and his quirk, Dark Shadow, protected Hawks, covering his burned and bloody back.

"Fumikage, this is bad." I heard Dark Shadow say. "His back..."

"Don't say that." The bird boy snapped, but Dark Shadow continued to stare at Hawks' back.

"His back. It's pretty much gone."

"Good." I hissed. Tokoyami looked at me, eyes wide and terrified. "Your master killed our guy. The guy who was protecting me while we were running away. He deserves a couple burns."

Dabi jabbed his thumb in the direction of Jin's body, and the student looked at the corpse, becoming even more horrified.

"Sad, that U.A. had to drag children into this fight. But then again, didn't most of us get dragged into violence too early?" Dabi was grinning, and I could see small flames sparking to life at his fingertips. "Think about it kid. What makes your guy here worse than us?"

"I'm just... concerned about my master." Tokoyami said, his voice sounding a little smaller. I scoffed, wiping away the rest of my tears.

"You're thoughtless." A roaring blast of fire followed Touya's words, blinding me. I stumbled back, coughing from the smoke and flames, and I watched as Tokoyami just barely dodged, with his quirk practically cradling Hawks. They leapt over the railing and without thinking, I swung over it as well, landing in a crouch. Dark Shadow rushed at me, and another hit to the head had me down on my ass.

"Kid." I found myself speaking even though I didn't intend to. My voice sounded a little broken. "Please. Move. Let me do this."

"I can't let you do that." Tokoyami glared at me, his hand firmly on Hawks' shoulder.

"You don't get it!" I snapped, shakily making my way back up to my feet. I was practically screaming. I don't even know why I was trying to reason with this child, but I was. I was pleading with him despite myself. "You don't get it! He fucked with my head, kid! He manipulated me at my lowest! All to ultimately get at and kill the only person I've ever loved!"

"I'm sorry." The teen replied, voice low and calm. It made me angrier.

"No you're not."

Touya leapt over the railing above us, stopping Tokoyami from replying to me. He was about to burn both the birds to a crisp, but all of a sudden, a wall of ice was inches from my face. I spun around and saw Geten, not a hero, and when I turned back to Tokyami and Hawks, they were gone.

I slowly and shakily crawled up on the ice, using it like a bridge towards the next building, one that was much more intact. I spotted Compress, and waved my hand towards him. He motioned me towards him and I stumbled my way over, finally landing in his arms.

"Y/N, what happened back there? Toga took off and-"

Something cold struck me, and an empty feeling filled my body. I dropped to my knees, practically frozen in place, trying to listen to what my quirk and my body was telling me. My heart rate, which was skyrocketing just seconds ago, had completely slowed to an usual rate.