Chapter Twenty-Three - Y/N

I can sleep.

I just choose not to,

for I have fallen in love with

the way my mind plays in

the dark night with thoughts of

You.                                              - mustafa tattan

Okay.

I haven't been completely honest with you all, and for that I'm sorry (not really), but I need you to hear me out.

You've probably noticed the amount of time skips and blank spaces recently in what I've been describing, filled with nondescript banter, and that's because I wasn't present for some of the things that were going on at that moment. I was bouncing back and forth every day between working with Dabi to find recruits and helping Tomura and the League with a certain gigantic being.

Something big has been happening that I didn't think would get to be this serious.

I hate admitting that I'm scared... but I've already broken down so many times in this damned book that I might as well just come out and say it. I am. I'm scared.

Now I can't hold it in anymore, so here's what's been happening throughout all this.

.

.

.

ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF EARLIER - BEFORE THE HERO BILLBOARD CHARTS

.

.

.

Dabi slid the door open, and I followed close behind, entering the League's hideout, and he glanced up at everyone, slumped on the couches and chairs, scowling.

"You're all just kicking back? Really? We're apparently the only ones pounding the cement looking for new recruits."

"Oh, hush." I elbowed him. "We have the one applicant that could be promising."

"Him? I highly doubt it."

"Too bad that you legitimately roast every applicant, and haven't given us any fresh blood!" Twice cried, where he and Toga were digging through a box of old jewelry.

"They were all worthless-" Dabi began to hiss, but I cut him off with a defusing smile.

"They didn't have ideals."

"They were trash. Living day to day with no goals." The patchwork male huffed, shaking his head.

"Maybe you're just bad at reading people, Dabi. Maybe Y/N should get more applicants." Toga smiled sweetly, and Dabi clenched his jaw.

"You are definitely not someone to talk."

I plopped on the couch beside Tenko and winked as I snatched a piece of his sushi. It was cheap stuff, but it tasted pretty damn good after being out in the cold all night with Dabi, who refused to use his flames to help warm me up. He rolled his eyes, and I snuck into his head, shifting through his thoughts, and he was completely aware of it. He was thinking of when Kurogiri, before he was arrested, pulled us both aside, telling us that there was a power that Master left behind for our protection and to support us, and that if Tenko or I gave him the order, he'd retrieve it.

I didn't want to make that call, and I wasn't really in a position to, as Tenko is Master's official successor, and I didn't ask about it, even when Kurogiri was gone, because that was all the explanation I needed. I briefly mentioned this back after the Hassaikai situation.